Cultivator HP

/ Cultivator HP #1  

BertZegers

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900, Zetor 8011, Kubota KX41Excavator, John Deere 4400 Combine, Case 1816C skidsteer
I have a Kubota L 2900 4wd tractor. The engine is rated 32 HP. The rear tires are liqued filled.
We own 36 acres land that is most clay.

Could the Kubota pull a 8 foot cultivator with 30 "S tines"? To make a seedbed for corn, or is it gonne be to hard on the tractor?

What are your thoughts? Thanks

/ Cultivator HP #2  
I have a Bobcat CT230 (30HP) and have a 72" S-Tine cultivator with 9 (7" shovels). If the ground is somewhat dry then it can get a little draggy. If it has a little moisture it is fine. My 2 bits.

/ Cultivator HP #3  
Maybe. If the ground is dry and you have the narrow cultivators your odds are better. If yiu have the gauge wheels it's a "yes" because you can control the depth of the cultivator. I think the problems would increase as the ground gets tilled up and the ability to grip the ground decreases. All things considered, I'd say you can do it.
I have a 13 ft spike harrow drag cultivator that I pulled with my Kubota B7800. Fooled me too.

/ Cultivator HP #4  
My L-3830 (37hp) pulls a 6ft 3-in-1 cultivator (11 s-tines) easily in clay. I doubt that mine or yours would have much difficulty pulling your cultivator.

What is probably more important, is the soil moisture. If it's too wet, assuming your tractor doesn't get stuck, you'll end up pulling big clods; if it's too dry, you'll just scrape the dirt. If you can work the soil under optimal conditions it should be fine. But that's the rub, you have to judge the conditions just right; else you'll need to use some other implement to break the ground before using the cultivator.

/ Cultivator HP #5  
I have a Kubota L 2900 4wd tractor. The engine is rated 32 HP. The rear tires are liqued filled.
We own 36 acres land that is most clay.

Could the Kubota pull a 8 foot cultivator with 30 "S tines"? To make a seedbed for corn, or is it gonne be to hard on the tractor?

What are your thoughts? Thanks

8 ft wide or 8 feet with points on them? Either way, is going to be too much for corn ground prep unless your soil is sandy or pretty loamy. Best bet is a turning plow, then disc harrow, then run the cultivator in front of the planter Roto tiller works well for small plots. Ken Sweet

/ Cultivator HP #6  
I have smaller 4" sweeps but they were changed out. I didn't like the way they let lots of weeds thru.

I only run into trouble when really dry soil. It just doesn't dig in very well.

Optimal soil moisture makes is dust free and a nice finish.