Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #321  
And 25 million people work for the gov___ment.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #322  
Directly from the CEO a few days ahead of the EPA release. This was not a case of defeat devices or programming intended to circumvent regulations:

I want to underscore that the company has not admitted any wrongdoing nor seen evidence that anyone acted in bad faith. As this resolution is finalized over the next several weeks, we expect that the government will discuss it in a way that disparages the company. This is disappointing given how diligently and collaboratively we have worked with the regulators for more than four years to resolve their questions.

From the beginning, we have cooperated fully with the relevant regulators, conducted a thorough internal review of the affected pick-up trucks and recalled many. We also expanded and strengthened our emissions compliance program by creating Product Compliance & Regulatory Affairs (PCRA), which has a reporting line into me, to help ensure our products comply with increasingly stringent emissions regulations around the world.
I'm sure both sides had their representation and what is said to the public may not be what was agreed to behind closed doors. Time will tell. Both sides are pretty quiet about it so far. I'm sure the cummins statement was at least carefully edited by a lawyer as it should be.

WASHINGTON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #323  
Wonder what would happen if Cummins reduced it's manufacturing presence stateside?

I know manufacturing incl. Paper Mills, etc... that left California over violations... and the offending company never admitted or found guilty... just sucked it up planning their escape...

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #326  
It will be interesting to see how the money is spent. Part of the 2016 Volkswagen settlement was Volkswagen built the Electrify America EV charging stations.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-civil-settlement#investment

1704139341526.png

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #327  
Wonder what would happen if Cummins reduced it's manufacturing presence stateside?

I know manufacturing incl. Paper Mills, etc... that left California over violations... and the offending company never admitted or found guilty... just sucked it up planning their escape...
The paper mill situation is a bit more complicated. The same trend is nationwide: reduction of paper mills. Many were built 40-50 years ago and do have a lot of issues with toxic waste discharges that would be very costly to ameliorate. But a lot are closing because of reduced demand for paper products. I’m familiar with a local case in Arizona with a mill built in 1960 to use virgin ponderosa pine fiber. It did produce some brown craft paper, but its main production was newsprint paper. In the 1990s, the state cited it for discharging high levels of dioxin into surface ponds. The cleanup and retooling was going to be tens of millions. Then, as you might guess, demand for newsprint paper has dwindled significantly. The loss of paper mills is largely due to reduced demand, but the cleanup and retooling costs are also significant. This has created a problem in forest management because in many places there are now no economically viable outlets for forest thinning residues.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #328  
I guess some people never learn.

1704139899770.png

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #329  
Yep. Employed serving fellow Americans.

I’m thinking when 1 in 10 working people work for the gov___ment, it sounds WAY too high.
Like Argentina-high.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #330  
Status
Not open for further replies.