Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Anybody been using this ?

16 fl oz Briggs and Stratton Advanced Formula Fuel Treatment 100119WEB

Part Number: 100119WEB

Briggs & Stratton's NEW 5-in-1 Advanced Formula Fuel Treatment & Stabilizer safeguards engines against common ethanol problems. Our formula protects your engine against the corrosive effects of ethanol and maintains fuel stability for up to 3 years.

16 fl. oz. Treats 80 gallons of gasoline
Triple antioxidant protection
Dual corrosion inhibitors guard metal engine parts against corrosion
Metal de-activator stops chemical reactions caused by dissolved metals in fuel
Detergent ingredients prevent gum and varnish build-up on engine parts
Water protection inhibitors protect against the harmful effects of water in fuel due to ethanol
Protects both 2- and 4-cycle gasoline engines

Rgds, D.

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #2  
I have never seen it before. Is it only available from the B&S online store?

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment
I started seeing it on the shelf 2 or 3 months back. I first noticed it at Lowes.

I was talking with the shop guys at my local hardware store about it today. They run an equipment rental section, and small engine repair. I get my Briggs parts from them, they have it on the shelf too.

What I find interesting is their dose rates refer to 3 years of storage. Seems pretty concentrated.

Rgds, D.

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #4  
They can claim 3 years; personally I don't want any fuel stored over more than winter into spring, and then I want fresh for my equipment, YMMV.:confused3:

With you there on fresh gas CM. I wouldn't normally plan for anything longer than one year, usually less.

Briggs does warn about over-treating with this product. It sounds concentrated enough that I might even back off the treat ratio a bit, if I go with this.

Rgds, D.

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #6  
D,
You know there are lots of products that cover these bases, that have been on the market for years; Stabil, Startron, etc. I'm confident that B&S has followed the formulaic methods of others before them and their product will also show good results.
Choose any name brand and you're good to go....

CM

D,
You know there are lots of products that cover these bases, that have been on the market for years; Stabil, Startron, etc. I'm confident that B&S has followed the formulaic methods of others before them and their product will also show good results.
Choose any name brand and you're good to go....

CM

Agreed.

I believe this is an updated version of Brigg's older stabilizer, with added oomph in detergents/corrosion protection. As the guys in the Rental shop said, they treat fuel in their machines year round, not just for scheduled storage - that's what I do too. They just finished fixing an old JD snowblower for a customer - carb was totally full of gelled guck. Once that poor old carb was in their ultrasonic bath for just a bit, it basically fell apart, there was so much corrosion - new carb time.

I'm 1) Always curious about new formulations from reputable companies, and 2) Doing some price comparisons, esp. wrt. Stabil Blue (Marine).

I've had good service from Stabil and Startron, Briggs is one other player I will consider for personal use.

Rgds, D.

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #8  
For the price it's not a bargin. I get a 10 oz size of Stabil Marine formula for $7. It treats 100 gallons.

Chris

For the price it's not a bargin. I get a 10 oz size of Stabil Marine formula for $7. It treats 100 gallons.

Chris

I like Stabil, but I don't view this as necessarily 1:1 comparable.

Stabil used to talk about double dose rates for 2 years of stability. Mostly I see 1 year Stabil dose rates these days. Stabil indicates that over-dosing the fuel is not harmful. Briggs states that you should not dose at higher than recommended rates.

Leads me to believe that the Briggs is more of an industrial strength formulation. If I run with Briggs, I may cut their dose rate in half. Note - I use non-E gas for my small engines though.

Rgds, D.

/ Current version of Briggs Fuel Treatment #10  
If your talking a Briggs in the 20 hp range for lawn tractors, or smaller engines, one reason for not overdosing is some have rubber tips on the end of the needle valves.
Overdosing could eat away their ability to close tight.
Stabil does make a special product for fuel containing ethanol. I used it all summer in a Briggs twin cylinder on a John Deere.

My wife started getting the typical missing problem that relates to a build up in the tank cap vent hole. Easy to fix but later that didn't do the job.
I did all the filter, oil, plug, breather, plug changes, but that didn't fix it either. Prior to the next step which would be tearing the carb off to clean and/or repair I got a can of Seafoam and dosed it according to directions, since the can warned not to overdose. It still missed briefly during the first two gallon tank but cleared up and ran like new on the second. I then went back to old fashioned Stabil.
So now it has regular old Stabil in it for the winter. Since the Seafoam had a caution about strength and it worked so well I wouldn't want it sitting in the carb all winter.
So next spring we will continue with the old fashioned Stabil, which I use in generators and other infrequent used engines, and see what happens.
The JD has 900 plus hours on it so I guess it was time for Seafoam.