Curses....Foiled Again.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #11  
That sucks. I think the woven wire mesh is a great idea. Could you (if you are cheap like me) clamp on a steel plate when doing risky work and take it off later or would it restrict air flow too much?

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #12  
I think the material is also sometimes referred to as "hardware cloth", and is available through Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc.
Ace

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #13  
If you live near a quary where they crush gravel..."woven wire mesh" is what they typically use to sieve/size gravel...they often discard worn out sieves but there is usually good sections that can be salvaged...

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #14  
That is a mighty large branch. Are you using that tractor like a bulldozer? Ouch!:eek:

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #15  
That sucks. I think the woven wire mesh is a great idea. Could you (if you are cheap like me) clamp on a steel plate when doing risky work and take it off later or would it restrict air flow too much?
I like that one! I think there is enuf spacing for good air. $ is not the thing for me. Rather time and effort framing sceen and putting something there that will be in the way mostly. Just bungeeing on a prepared plate appeals.
Great origination!
larry

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #16  
When I got my grapple, I was afraid I would put a branch through my radiator from pushing, too. I took the guard off and welded some of that expanded metal over it and repainted it. So far, all is well. Also, I made boot guards out of truck mud flaps for the tie rods. I got tired of replacing torn up rubber boots from limbs. Also, added a little ovalled pipe to the valve stems after one got broken off by a limb. I guess a tractor isn't a tank! Pretty delicate they are.

Attachments

• Tractor Brush Guard 2-4-08 004.jpg
    Tractor Brush Guard 2-4-08 004.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Tractor Boot Flap 11-23-07 004.jpg
    Tractor Boot Flap 11-23-07 004.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Tractor Boot Flap 11-23-07 005.jpg
    Tractor Boot Flap 11-23-07 005.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Tractor Valve Stem Mod 2-21-08 002.jpg
    Tractor Valve Stem Mod 2-21-08 002.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Tractor Valve Stem Mod 2-21-08 007.jpg
    Tractor Valve Stem Mod 2-21-08 007.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
   / Curses....Foiled Again. #17  
Good work on the grille Redbug, it really looks professional.

I like the boot guards too, cheap and simple. I got a couple of mud flaps down back that I've been saving for a good use someday. Thanks.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #18  

Like this idea better. Looking at the tractor pictures and related wire options just leads me to believe that the branch would just push right through maybe just a tad slower.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #19  
Yeah, you are right Gizmo. If it's big enough it will go through. Since I have made mine, it has had several dings where smaller branches have pushed into it. I am more aware of the front end and pay more attention now, (paranoid). Problem is...they put the headlights in the worst possible place and unprotected. The expanded metal keeps the lights usable. But, lights down low like that make it hard to see doing bucket work. Maybe I need lights up on the roll bar...

/ Curses....Foiled Again.
I looked for some woven wire mesh at the local junkyards / steel supply houses and other local known sources. No luck. :( I saw lots of expanded metals like shown above....but for my situation I am not sure if it is really heavy duty enough. So....I think I will fill in the gaps in my guard with round tube and some heavy flat iron. For me it wont work to install a removable plate when I am in brush country.....as I operate in brush at various times during any given day. I can see where that can work for some.....its just not handy enough for me.

I did see some scrap stair treads (think fire escape floor grates) which may work out pretty well. I am considering a chunk of that stuff for the larger center area of my grille.