Curses....Foiled Again.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #21  
Ouch was what I was thinking too.
In viewing you photos foggy, it looked to me you grill was tough enough? Looks like that branch just tore the welds off and pushed the steel back. With that in mind, I'm not sure expandable metal would have helped much? I've had a few holes punched in the tractor grill and even a small branch go right through the windshield of my old Blazer. Sometimes stuff just happens.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #22  

Unless you can find it in a heavy gauge, expanded metal won't do much for you. Woven wire can also be found at wharehouse equipment suppliers. It's used to make stockroom cages etc. The stair tread idea sounds good too though.

/ Curses....Foiled Again.
I am going with the "stair tread" idea as that seems to provide the best of all worlds and may hide my grille damage (anybody wager a guess on a replacement grille??). I cannot seem to locate any of the woven wire....but from the grille I saw with it....it also would be the ticket.

I will post a picture of the finished product.....as I know some others are operating under similar woody situations.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #24  
Those stair treads sound ideal, maybe with a chunk of crusher screen in front. I don't know how but I managed to rip the drain fitting off my JD4300 radiator one day. Stick went under the guard.....

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #25  
129933d1242489375-curses-foiled-again-tractor-boot-flap-11-23

wow never occured to me that some tractor maker would put the stearing in the front to beat up on.

(mines behind nice and safe(ish)

790883201-full.jpg

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #26  
Yeah Steve, I just think they make them like that because that's the way it has been done with trucks, cars. I think many of the engineers don't have any real world experience...or it's cheaper to do it that way. Too bad that don't offer an option which includes belly pans, etc. I noticed Deere does on some of their tractors.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #27  
I think many of the engineers don't have any real world experience

ding ding. We have another winner.

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #28  
Here's my idea to get all objectives met with minimal expense- hopefully. Make a plate of heavy enough material to withstand the brunt forces of a large branch, and make it in the shape of a shallow 'v' so the pointed end is toward the fel and the open end attaches to the tractor's brush guard with a flange on either side. Like the train 'cow pushers' used back in steam train days? You could punch holes in it of various diameters in certain spots to allow for ventilation, and the inverted 'v' would deflect even the largest branches off the side where they would only rip off a hydraulic hose or some other item that wasn't protected ;)
Better yet, why not do what Clint did in the 'Gauntlet' when he made the bus a ram rod to get back to headquarters?! :D

/ Curses....Foiled Again. #29  
Here's my idea to get all objectives met with minimal expense- hopefully. Make a plate of heavy enough material to withstand the brunt forces of a large branch, and make it in the shape of a shallow 'v' so the pointed end is toward the fel and the open end attaches to the tractor's brush guard with a flange on either side. Like the train 'cow pushers' used back in steam train days? You could punch holes in it of various diameters in certain spots to allow for ventilation, and the inverted 'v' would deflect even the largest branches off the side where they would only rip off a hydraulic hose or some other item that wasn't protected ;)
Better yet, why not do what Clint did in the 'Gauntlet' when he made the bus a ram rod to get back to headquarters?! :D

More than likely if you have this placed a few inches from the grille which is where I would want it, should have enough air flow from top and bottom and sides. A few years back JD had a front grille on farm tractors that looked a lot like this. Solid sheet metal.

As to the steering on the front of axle understand the issue but my guess that is due to the drive shaft for 4 wheel drive and they just use same design on 2 whl also.

/ Curses....Foiled Again.
Today I got my make-over grille installed on my tractor. It has the stair grid material welded in... which should prevent further mishaps.r I think the stair tread will protect the grille, hood and headlights pretty well.....and the stuff behind them. This grille guard should be near "bullet proof"....and still lets the air through. Should be ok with my headlights too.....but I dont operate at night too much.

I only wish I wudda done this in the first place....as this grille got pretty expensive with the weight bracket, 1st assembly, 2nd revision. Oh well....if it does the job....it will be worth it. Hoods, headlights and grills aint cheap either.

I straightened my damaged grille (see first post) and blew some paint on it.....now with the new grille guard you can hardly see the damage. (grin)

Attachments

• manitoba bear 001.jpg
    manitoba bear 001.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 128
  • manitoba bear 004.jpg
    manitoba bear 004.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited: