Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor #1  

fishfactor

Gold Member
Tractor
(2) 2014 CAT 299DXHP / FECON
We got tired of replacing drive motor speed sensors, so I built these guards to help protect them, as well as the hydraulic hoses that come out the side and go up to the drive motors. It's hard to get 100% coverage due to the suspension, but I'm pretty close. The main assembly is made of 1/4" plate and installs by dropping in from the top. You have to loosen track tension and slide the top of the track halfway off the sprocket. I utilized the bolts that attach the undercarriage to the frame to mount the guards, so there is no modification to the actual CTL. Once you mount the main assembly, the back and bottom guards bolt to it. Ironically, I heard that CAT has a prototype guard they are putting on a test machine this week. Don't laugh at my welding. It might look like bubble gum, but it holds just fine!

npgeo9.jpg

344azwn.jpg

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor #2  
Looks good, you could probably sell those. Im sure Ill need one.

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor #3  
Any word from cat on that prototype? Have you fabbed up anymore? It happened to me recently, I need to buy some asap.

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor
Any word from cat on that prototype? Have you fabbed up anymore? It happened to me recently, I need to buy some asap.

Haven't been on here in a while. I haven't heard anything more about the CAT prototype guards. We have about 700 hours on these guards on both of our 299's with zero speed sensor problems since. Our CAT guys like them, except when they had to take them off for a drive motor update. I've had a few calls wanting me to build these, so it's something I'm considering.

I had enough calls to start making these, so I just wanted to update the thread. We now have over 2200 hours on these running mulchers with absolutely zero speed sensor failures. The ones I'm doing now are improved over the originals to make installing them a little easier, and they also look a little different. I'll post some pics soon. If anyone is interested just send a PM.

Update: These are now in production. I'm trying to get some inventory built up but they are still built to order for the most part. I did away with all of the 1/8 inch thick pieces. Every part is now cut from 1/4 inch plate on a CNC plasma cutter. Made a few changes and they are no longer hard to remove if you need to service the drive motors, etc. We still haven't had a single drive motor speed sensor, or hose failure on either of our machines. I can now ship UPS to anywhere in the US.

Guards are now in stock and ready to go. I also gave up the welding duties to our new expert, certified welder! Trying to keep them in stock most of the time.

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor #8  
Those look really good. I got the ones cat makes installed on my machine and they work well but I still need something to cover the hoses so I may be giving you a call.

/ Custom Guards for CAT 299D Speed Sensor #9  
That's great fish! I hope this all works out for you, making & selling your guards that is.:thumbsup:
Get this out on HEF and where ever else you can.

Thanks guys. They work great, and it doesn't take very many speed sensors to recoupe the cost. Most sales so far have been referrals from customers that have them. Had a dealer buy a set for a new 289, I guess they use the same frame.