Cut-off guides for firewood

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #51  
I have a bunch of 1x3 furring strips cut into 16" lengths that I keep around. I just mark the log with fluorescent spray paint before I begin and make any adjustments for crotches as I am marking. IMHO, that is the time to think about how you want to work around an odd piece, not when you're running the saw burning fuel and trying to avoid distractions.

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #52  
I have a bunch of 1x3 furring strips cut into 16" lengths that I keep around. I just mark the log with fluorescent spray paint before I begin and make any adjustments for crotches as I am marking. IMHO, that is the time to think about how you want to work around an odd piece, not when you're running the saw burning fuel and trying to avoid distractions.

I agree BHH. I mark with an old piece of oak flooring cut to 16" and wide tip Sharpie markers (usually RED). I try to mark an entire section of the tree before even starting the saw. I'm not out to cut the fastest- I like the "stackability" of reproducibly cut firewood. I am seriously considering the Original Woodcutters Helper though!

Frank

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #53  
I found saw buck plans at instructables.com using 4x4x8' pressure treated lumber, so I decided to make one:
sawBuck.jpg
I adjusted the left to right spacing of the Xs to that I got 18" (my preferred split length) from the left side of the left X to the right side of the center X and 36" to the right side of the right X. In use, I drop a log or branch onto the buck with the left end flush with the left end of the buck. Then I run the saw bar down the right side of the right most X, then move to the right side of the center X and make another cut. I get two 18" pieces that way every time. If there's a drop from the first cut I put it back on the buck and do it again. When I'm chunking wood in the field, i try to aim for some multiple of 18", usualy 6'. That doesn't always pan out, but if I end up with short ends at least they'll always fit in the stove!