Snowblower CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount?

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #21  
Just my 2-cents, but this seems like an arguement that should be determined by the average snowfall in your area multiplied by the length of your driveway. The more snow you get, and the longer your driveway, the bigger the budget should be to justify the cost difference between a front mount or a rear mount blower.

Front mount blowers are roughly 2 to 4 times the price of rear mount units.

I have a fairly short driveway and our snowfalls are "moderate" so I could not justify spending about $4000 for something that does the job easier, but not necessaryily better, than something that cost me $1400. If my drive was longer (it is about 100') and we got 8" to 12" snowfalls on a more regular basis (we get 2 a year, plus several in the 3" to 8" range), then I probably would have some reason to think about a front mount. We do get real blizzards off of Lake Michigan, but not so often that I think having a many-thousand dollar investment in my garage is worth the price for those occasional uses.

If I lived in the Lake Michigan snowbelt that gets 12" dumps every week in the winter, or Buffalo, NY or other places like that, then I would gladly shell out the bucks for front mount. I guess it depends on how much convenience or inconvenience you can justify given the cost.

My Cub Cadet has a front mount blower and it is a great thing. Easy to use and fast. But I got a big rear mount because the Cub is so darn hard to swap implements on that I didn't want to bother swapping them any more (getting to darn old) and now that I put a Pat's Easy Change on the tractors switching 3pt implements is a quick job with minimal cussing (actually it might have totally eliminated the cussing so the Preacher on Sunday will have nuthin to preach at me about).

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #22  
I can attest to the fact that front mounts on CUTs are expensive as heck !! for my JD4100 it was close to $4k..ouch
It forced me to get the snow thrower for my new Cub 3204 (no regrets). The newer attachments and machines are much easier to install and remove overall on CUTs as well as garden tractors, compared to the older setups. Thank god for that!!

I'm thankful it has snowed a lot and so early !! I would hate to be skunked this year after such a investment. Even though i use a thrower, and wear full snow suits, a Cab is somthing of a luxury, and i think people who live in snow belts should think about getting them...as I get older, the snow in your face is less enjoyable....plus the extreme cold temps and long hours is something I take a little more seriously..it can be very dangerous especially in the colder climates. I didnt like being cold, real cold is my point..
It appears my climate is getting back to where it used to be (weather wise) I doubt I will budget a cab anytime soon, but strongly suggest to those who can - do it !!
Dream setup would be a blower in front, a cab heated w/ wiper, lights and a rear blade all attached to a CUT.

Ducati

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #23  
I have a 64" rear mount & am very happy with it for my 600' of driveway. 1 pass down, quick swipe at the mailbox, 1 pass back, a couple of passes near the house & garage & done. I'd be suprised if I was out more than 30 minutes including brushing it off when i was done. I am impressed with how it handled the 18"+- that we got in NH. I liked having the benefit of the FEL to clean out beside the barn where there was some debris that i didn't want to run through the blower.
I think having a hydro made it faster out at the road near the mailbox & back near the barn, so easy & fast to change direction.

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #24  
Well, since I just got in from clearing the drive, I'll add my .02. We live in NW Lower MI which gets ALOT of "lake effect " snow. But yesterday it rained all day and then froze and then snowed about 4". We have about 750' of paved driveway plus turnarounds in front of garage and pole barn On my KL3010 I have a 60" FEL and a NH 716C blower on the 3pt hitch. This has worked out best for our setting.
Case in point this AM I ran the FEL down the drive twice and DONE. It got most of the ice off too, which the SB wouldnt have. We do get some big snows where the SB is just the ticket. I cut alot of firewood all winter so leaving the FEL in place is a necessity.
BTW, chains on the front only has made a huge diff on manuverability when pushin snow.

Natty B. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #25  
I here you on the need for front chains.I just got a set for the front today from tirechains.com.It's pouring out now so I'll wait till tomorrow and throw them on.Now I'll have to wait for the next snow to see the difference they make. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif