cutting down a trailer

/ cutting down a trailer #1  

ebeveridge

Tractor
Kubota BX2350
Ok so i need/ want a 14 ft tandem axle trailer to mover some toys around as well as some construction materials. Basically for general use. I have a friend who has a 18ft trailer that he will give me it needs a new deck and new lights and a good paint job. It is to long for what i need and another friend who is a union welder said to get it and we would just cut 4ft off between the tongue and wheels. Dose this work or will it mess i up and not haul correctly? is there a ratios from in front of wheels to behind wheels to keep the load centered? we could cut some off back and some out of middle to keep the ratio.
thanks for the opinion.

/ cutting down a trailer #2  
I think I would prefer to cut from the back, then move the axles forward to avoid a splice in the frame.

But, someday, you will probably wish you had a longer trailer. :)

Bruce

/ cutting down a trailer #3  
I would splice the frame and then reinforce the area after welding it back together. I just did the same thing. except to 16'. My trailer had 4" C-Channel where I cut it. I boxed in the channel by putting a 1' piece of 4" x 1/2" flat bar in the middle and then welded a 3" x 6" x 1/2" plate on the back side of the weld. I have a 2000lb welder sitting on top of that area and have zero issues.
"

/ cutting down a trailer #4  
When and if you do cut it down, which I don't understand but that's on you, you want 60% of the bed before the center of the tandem axles and 40% behind.

To do it right you must cut from the front and rear.

Chris

/ cutting down a trailer #5  
I would keep the spacing correct as per what Diamond Pilot said above. As for cutting it off the back and front or just the back and moving the axles, I would probably do whichever is easiest of the two. If you cut it off of the front and back you will need to put some doubler plate over the front splice, but that is easy. Some (probably most) axles are really easy to move. Turn the trailer over, cut the welds and just slide them forward, resquare them and reweld. Your friend the welder should know better than to just cut four feet from the front.
What type welder is he? Boilermaker, Pipefitter, Ironworker, ?

/ cutting down a trailer
I will think long and hard about this i hate cutting down something that someone else could use as is. as for my friend he was a iron-worker but now is a welder in a custom fab shop that makes fixtures for machine companies,dirt modified race car frames, and other small run fab work you need it built, they will build it.
thank you for the help i wanted to see if it was even possible just not sure if i want to commit.

/ cutting down a trailer #7  
When and if you do cut it down, which I don't understand but that's on you, you want 60% of the bed before the center of the tandem axles and 40% behind.

To do it right you must cut from the front and rear.

Chris

That would be 8.4 feet in front of the center hanger and 5.6 feet behind.

The 40-60 weight division assumes an evenly spread load, but is probably best as a standard. I always thought it would be nice to have sliding axles on a smaller trailer. Load it where the equipment fits best, then move the axle(s) for best weight distribution. It looks like lots of tandem boat trailers are that way, with axles mounted on a frame that is U-bolted to the trailer frame.

Cutting from front and rear, then remounting the tongue would avoid a splice.

I think a splice would make a stiff spot in a frame that flexes a bit with a load and road conditions. It may be OK in most cases, but I would rather not.

Bruce

/ cutting down a trailer #8  
I will think long and hard about this i hate cutting down something that someone else could use as is. as for my friend he was a iron-worker but now is a welder in a custom fab shop that makes fixtures for machine companies,dirt modified race car frames, and other small run fab work you need it built, they will build it. thank you for the help i wanted to see if it was even possible just not sure if i want to commit.

I think you will regret cutting down a 18' trailer. That's just a handy size. I could not live without my 18' trailer. 14' might work for your particular task but is otherwise about worthless. Can't haul a car, tractor with a FEL, ect. Think long and hard.

Chris

/ cutting down a trailer #10  
Take the 18' trailer your friend wants to give you, and take the old floor out, put a good paint job on it, replace or repair the lights and wiring that need it, and put a new floor in it.
Now you have the option of selling the 18' trailer to finance a 14' trailer. Or you could just keep the 18' trailer for yourself. You will have an intimate knowledge of what the 18'er is by this time. At that point, there is no wrong answer, just whatever you want to do.