Cutting edge wear

/ Cutting edge wear #11  
No pics at this time....but:

I used carriage bolts with fender washers (8 total). I got bigger fender washers so that the square part of the bolt fit in the hole and the washer made contact with the underside of the head (make it as low profile as possible.) The heads were on the bottom, then the washer, through a hole in the mat, through the hole in the bucket , then nut on top (inside bucket.) When I tightened up the nut, the washer and head recessed themselves mostly into the mat (compressing the rubber.)

I also had to develop a "technique" which mostly worked:
I have a level-indicator rod on my FEL to show when the bucket bottom is level. I rolled it SLIGHTLY forward of level, then "floated" the lift. The only places I hit with the bolt-head were where tree roots pushed up the pavement slightly. It was like using a "squeegee" to clear the pavement. I tried it on neighbors' gravel drives and it didnt do very well - the back blade with rubber worked MUCH better in those spots.

Next year, I am going to replace all the fender washers with a single strip of 3/16" x 2" x 8' flat metal I found in the barn and "braze" on the bolts and grind off the heads ( I need to learn how to "braze" ). I found that snow packed in between the rubber and bucket edge and pulled the rubber off the washers a couple times. A contiguous strip of metal with even pressure should help a lot.

When my camera is working, I'll try to do some snaps. Right now I have my toothbar on, with fervent belief/hope that snow season is OVER! It's been a long winter /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark

/ Cutting edge wear #12  
thanks for the info I'll go with 1/2" thick, I work in a machine shop so getting free stock is not a problem.

/ Cutting edge wear #13  
Regualr steel will wear quick even grader blade will wear on asphault. hen i bough my hoe it had section of edge broken out and i replaced that section. I make alot of tree shear bladfes for a logger freind of mine out of AR500 and its undrillable lol. I have a special torch track and motor i built to thold and feeds my torch on it at an angle for the blades and i made it long enought to bevel a new edge for my loader/ the front where my edge is welded to has a 4 inch plate behind it so ill cut all of it out and square it ll up. Mine is worn out more on one side from having a leaky rear tire and scraping off burnt building foundations. I may burn some holes to mount my tiooth bar i plan to build.