Cutting fire wood

/ Cutting fire wood #21  
Your hands never had to be within a foot of that blade. Footing was important. There have been a heck of a lot more hands mangeled by snow blowers than one of those saws. bcs

/ Cutting fire wood #22  
Justaplain said:
Your hands never had to be within a foot of that blade. Footing was important. There have been a heck of a lot more hands mangeled by snow blowers than one of those saws. bcs
Makes sense to me. The nasty bits of a snow blower are covered, at least on most sides, where as the saw blade is sitting out for all the world to see. It asks the question, "Do you feel lucky?". My answer, of course is "SIR, NO SIR!".

/ Cutting fire wood #23  
As far as justifying the relative dangers with an implement you need to consider that there are bajillions of snowblowers out there being used all the time and 5% of the operators might get mangled. If there were an equal number of these cordwood saws out there being used then you can bet that more folks would be getting hurrt on them.

Danger and risk are a funny thing. I have a thread going in the attachment forum about the unicorn style log splitter. Once could say that it is perfectly safe becuase more people get hurt using snowblowers.

Attachments

• small2.JPG
    small2.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 120
   / Cutting fire wood #24  
Highbeam said:
As far as justifying the relative dangers with an implement you need to consider that there are bajillions of snowblowers out there being used all the time and 5% of the operators might get mangled. If there were an equal number of these cordwood saws out there being used then you can bet that more folks would be getting hurrt on them.

Danger and risk are a funny thing. I have a thread going in the attachment forum about the unicorn style log splitter. Once could say that it is perfectly safe becuase more people get hurt using snowblowers.

You beat me to it.

As for the numbers in use out there? BAck when I was a kid there was one on just about every farm. Today? I can't name one in this area that is still in use.

One reason that they are not common? They are not an efficient, or even practical, way to cut wood. Every stick has to lifted onto the table and thus severely limits the size of stuff that can be run through it. Even back when we were using one, the only stuff run through were small diameter limbs and junk wood from buildings.

Harry K