Cutting power use to the bone.

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #11  
I checked a year ago. Base rate is still - 6.8 cents per KwHr. This is a constant rate - 24/7/365.

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #12  
I will say that the prolific availability of LED bulbs has changed my life as far as vehicle and tractor and trailer lighting is concerned.

Everything I own, implements, tractors, cars and trucks all are retrofitted with LED bulbs. No more changing burnt out bulbs.

Far as our utility bill is concerned, I 100% agree, it's going up all the time and it has everything to do with the 'green energy' fiasco perpetrated on consumers by the gummit.

Green energy is 99% BS.

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #13  
Around here, charges are Tier based. The less you use, the more it costs. The more you use, the less it costs. I use what I have to. My house is all electric. I don't have much choice. They even charge for a meter whether you use electricity or not. It's like $9 a month for the meter I used for the old well. I keep it on in case I need power down front.

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #14  
I will say that the prolific availability of LED bulbs has changed my life as far as vehicle and tractor and trailer lighting is concerned.

Everything I own, implements, tractors, cars and trucks all are retrofitted with LED bulbs. No more changing burnt out bulbs.

Far as our utility bill is concerned, I 100% agree, it's going up all the time and it has everything to do with the 'green energy' fiasco perpetrated on consumers by the gummit.

Green energy is 99% BS.
I will challenge your statement that green energy is not real.

In November this year it will be 4 years that we have had a 7.5k solar array online.
At that anniversary I expect to have generated 36 mega-watt-hours of juice.
About 22 kwh per day average. This has completely offset the monthly electric bill.
I've said before that my favorite thing is when one of us leaves a light on or something I say "do you think we get free electricity around here?"
She says "matter of fact, yes I do".

It is real. It is here. Pretending will not make it go away but your belief system is yours and YMMV

regards,

R

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #15  
Whatever floats your boat. Just remember where the elements are coming from is all I can say.

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #16  
Whatever floats your boat. Just remember where the elements are coming from is all I can say.
Mission solar panels, (made in Texas),
Solaredge inverter, optimizers (Israel)and
Iron Ridge mounting racks, USA.
Remainder of installation materials purchased locally.

It was a priority of mine to buy American.
Probably more domestic content that todays tractors or Harleys.
(Just so's you know for future reference)

regards,

R

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #17  
@5030 do you have any published data for renewables causing your power price to go up?

California was amongst the highest energy rates in the US before solar, and still does post solar and wind expansion. Hawaii, which does have the highest electricity rates in the US last time I checked, has had their rates go down moving from oil powered plants to more solar and batteries. By the way, when we are talking "electricity costs" don't forget the effect of inflation. That great $0.10/kWh rate from 1990, is up to $0.24 just on inflation alone. CPI Inflation Calculator

Like @roric, we have exported millions of watts (3-4MWh net) of electricity at a cost to the utility equal to the same cost as they buy wholesale; we pay all of their costs for infrastructure (transmission costs, maintenance, etc.). They get the power without having to spend money on generation infrastructure, so they actually turn more of a profit on our power, despite their whingeing about it. We aren't causing any price increases.

The cost of solar power has gone down to between a third (residential) to a fifth (utility scale) of what it was ten years ago.

The cost of oil has gone up enormously in the last thirty years, (2x)
gas prices less so.

Both charts are inflation adjusted. Utility pricing for coal costs is largely not public, so there isn't a great public way to know those trends.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Cutting power use to the bone. #18  
Total bill or energy usage? I'm finding that its the "Electric System Charge" thats going up. Probably due to the increased rates the utility has to pay for insurance? Its a full third of our bill in the summer. Nothing you do, is going to change that.
Off Grid?

/ Cutting power use to the bone. #19  
Here’s a dirty little secret no one wants to admit: Capitalism doesn’t have the solution to all of humanity’s problems.

Let’s say a efficient utility has 1000 customers and needs $1.2 million dollars a year to keep wires on the poles, buy utility trucks, etc..
Math says, on average, every customer pays $1200 a year, or $100 a month. The books balance.

Now, 50% of the customers install LED lightbulbs, or puts solar panels on their roof, etc.. and their usage goes down 50%.

The utility still needs $12 million dollars a year for the wires, poles, trucks, workers, etc...

What is capitalism’s answer: 1) Customer’s bills are 1/2 of what they use to pay? Or:
2) Energy rates double?
The answer is #1 (at first) , then #2 (eventually).

Now imagine 999 customers went solar and you’re the last customer on the line. Your bill has to be $12 million or else the utility company goes broke.

Obviously, it’s a bit more complicated than these examples (as people still stay connected with less usage), but the principle is the same. It’s like when the nation gets a salary raise at work, then discovers that the price of everything goes up. Good ole supply and demand.

Last edited: