Cutting rectangular holes?

/ Cutting rectangular holes? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
So, I installed my Air Rite dual airbag control in the overhead console of my truck, (2006 GMC 2500HD) where the cubby used to be. It looks OK, but I have the face plate from another overhead console that had the rear AC control in it and want to use to make it look professional.

I popped the face of that off, since it is what actually snaps into the console so I want to use it as the template and cut an aluminum plate (1/16" or less thick) and mount that to the factory part that snaps in.

I need to cut the round hole in the center for the air pressure gauge and the rectangular ones on either side fore the switches.

I can't post a pic because I do not have them hosted anywhere and this site will not pull them from my computer.

Anyone have an idea how to accurately cut these holes? All I have is a dremel or snips and neither is good for metal that thick.

Once it is cut I will have it coated or anodized or something to make it look better.

/ Cutting rectangular holes? #2  
Drill in all the corners, and in the middle of the rectangle.

Use a fine metal cutting blade in a hand jigsaw (scroll saw), cutting from the back so the scuff marks from the base of the saw don't scratch it, or mask the piece (or the saw) first. If you can get a clean cut, go right up to the line but if not, hold back from the line a bit, then hand file the last bit.

Stop often to clean the aluminum bits out of the file, it can help to rub the file across a piece of chalk first it will keep some from sticking.

/ Cutting rectangular holes? #4  
For thin metal, look up a "nibbler". It is used by ham radio guys to cut custom radio panels.

/ Cutting rectangular holes?
Thanks guys great ideas. Will oost back on this and TRY to get a before and after pic and post em.

Skipper those might come in handy. Will give a closer look. Might be perfect for cutting the plate itself.

/ Cutting rectangular holes? #7  
I would say drill the corners for the rectangular holes and use your dremel with a cut off disc, aluminum should not cut that hard. Even a hand powered coping saw with a fine blade would work and not cost you a lot.
For the round hole, drill two sides and cut around with the coping saw. Or use a holesaw of the appropriate size.

The coping saw would be easier to control. Don't have one but am sure they are inexpensive.

/ Cutting rectangular holes? #9  
I have a bunch of Greenlee chassis punches left to me by my father. Wonderful things; I would recommend them, but I just looked up the current pricing! But they'll do the trick, in a very easy and professional looking manner.