Cutting up white oak tree

/ Cutting up white oak tree #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
Several days ago there was a storm at the farm that my brother and I share, a large decaying white oak tree came down during the high winds, about half the tree was in the soybean field so we decided today was the day to cut it up. started with a small limbing saw to cut up smaller limbs. After cutting up the decayed limbs, started on the seasoned but not rotten limbs. Wow, this stuff was hard. Chain didnt last long on this. Then picked up an 026 Stihl with 18" bar and cut all limbs down to the logs. By this time this chain was shot too. Next saw was an Stihl 362 with 20" bar. while cutting up logs in lengths I could handle the logs were smoking from the sparks coming off the chain. We had to pour water on the log cuts to stop the smoldering . My brother tried to cut out the smoldering wood with a razor sharp hatchet and it just bounced off. Verified this was due to sparks coming from chain as i saw them visually during cut. Chain super sharp when started . Been around chainsaws for probably 50-55 years and never have I encountered wood so hard it would try to start burning just from a chainsaw making a cut. Any of you guys ever encountered this before?

/ Cutting up white oak tree #2  
Several days ago there was a storm at the farm that my brother and I share, a large decaying white oak tree came down during the high winds, about half the tree was in the soybean field so we decided today was the day to cut it up. started with a small limbing saw to cut up smaller limbs. After cutting up the decayed limbs, started on the seasoned but not rotten limbs. Wow, this stuff was hard. Chain didnt last long on this. Then picked up an 026 Stihl with 18" bar and cut all limbs down to the logs. By this time this chain was shot too. Next saw was an Stihl 362 with 20" bar. while cutting up logs in lengths I could handle the logs were smoking from the sparks coming off the chain. We had to pour water on the log cuts to stop the smoldering . My brother tried to cut out the smoldering wood with a razor sharp hatchet and it just bounced off. Verified this was due to sparks coming from chain as i saw them visually during cut. Chain super sharp when started . Been around chainsaws for probably 50-55 years and never have I encountered wood so hard it would try to start burning just from a chainsaw making a cut. Any of you guys ever encountered this before?
When a teenager would use a wood crosscut saw to cut large oak trees to make whiskey barrows. My older brother was on one side I on the other and quickly cur the trees. to 36 inches then split to quarter round the tree and load onto a truck. one tree usually one load. at the same time, Dad had a sawmill so other types of trees were cut into ties for railroad or lumber. we use kerosine to keep the saw from sticking in cuts, and the slabs from trees were cut into firewood size and stacked in the shed for winter use. One winter someone stole the slab wood overlooking dried white oak stacked and split. Hope they stayed warm with the bark wood we enjoyed the clean-burning oak wood. ken

/ Cutting up white oak tree #3  
Short answer: yes white oak can be that hard, especially if it is dry. Par for the course.

All the best, Peter

/ Cutting up white oak tree #4  
If the chain itself is getting hot enough to start fires the chain is definitely dull. But I’ve had the saw muffler catch logs on fire especially dead ones where the outside is crumbling. And by fires I really mean smoldering.

/ Cutting up white oak tree #5  
It's better than treated lumber for many applications...
There are cemeteries around here that have below grade crypts made from white oak that are well over 100 years old and there is no sign of rot or decay...!

/ Cutting up white oak tree #6  
White oak has to be cut and split while it is green. Let it dry and it becomes very hard to deal with.

You might file down the rakers on your chain so it takes a deeper cut, but watch out for kickbacks.

/ Cutting up white oak tree #7  
The only type trees around here - Ponderosa pine. The bark on the ancient pines is loaded with volcanic ash - Mt St Helens, 1980. This will cause the chain to "sparkle" and become dull very quickly.

The answer - debark the tree prior to making the cut. I know - it's a PITA - but not so much as frequent resharpening of the chain.

/ Cutting up white oak tree #8  
White oak is used for wood working and its dried for that purpose. Most of the wood working saws use a carbide cutter so maybe a carbide chain for your saw would work better. They are more expensive but if they last longer it might be worth the price difference?

/ Cutting up white oak tree #9  
STIHL does make a carbide toothed chain for their chain saws. It's designed to be used by emergency/rescue folks. I checked last year - the chain was about 50% more in price. The major down side - special sharpening equipment and longer times to sharpen.

Local Stihl dealer says - fire/rescue folks keep several carbide chains - don't fiddle with sharpening - bring dull chains to him for sharpening.

/ Cutting up white oak tree #10  
I wonder if there are different varieties of "white oak". I had some at my former property, don't recall it being any more difficult to cut than any other hardwood. Then again, I did generally cut and split it green.