Cyclist's and their steeds

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #61  
On a different computer. The Specialized in real action years ago.
001.jpg

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #62  
My wife rides --- she has 2 bikes. One for the trails and one road bike she uses in triathlons.

My only comment is do you guys/gals really use those clips for pedals? They seem to me to be the most dangerous thing ever invented. Lock your shoe to the bike pedal? Really?

MoKelly

/ Cyclist's and their steeds
My only comment is do you guys/gals really use those clips for pedals? They seem to me to be the most dangerous thing ever invented. Lock your shoe to the bike pedal? Really?
Yes I really do. They seem dangerous and a lot of non cyclist think they're stupid, but they increase pedaling efficiency because you get power on the upstroke too.

Why don't you join your wife?

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #64  
Those clips have adjustable release mechanism. They unclip quite easily. I'd rather ride with clips than without.

Used to be there was a strap over the shoe that one had to bend over to reach to tighten or realease.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #65  
Yes I really do. They seem dangerous and a lot of non cyclist think they're stupid, but they increase pedaling efficiency because you get power on the upstroke too.

Why don't you join your wife?

Great question. I do join her those times she is willing to ride more relaxed and slow on the Kati trail. Her bikes are more advanced than mine --- you guys may laugh but my bike is a Schwinn 10 speed trail bike purchased 23 years ago. It works fine but has regular pedals so I can't keep up with her if she really wants to go fast!!!!!

I've never really preferred biking as exercise. Fortunately, my wife and I both love tennis so we play lots together and that is my primary source or exercise.

MoKelly

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #66  
My wife rides --- she has 2 bikes. One for the trails and one road bike she uses in triathlons.

MoKelly

Actually they are much safer than platform pedals. If your foot slips off a pedal it can really hurt - even if you don't fall off. The design is such that they release with almost no effort in a twist but you can push or pull your entire weight in a vertical direction without release.

Almost everyone falls over once or twice getting used to them, then it's second nature.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds
Actually they are much safer than platform pedals. If your foot slips off a pedal it can really hurt - even if you don't fall off. The design is such that they release with almost no effort in a twist but you can push or pull your entire weight in a vertical direction without release.

Almost everyone falls over once or twice getting used to them, then it's second nature.
And generally if you crash they come undone themselves in my experience (mtb clipless).

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #68  
Always ride with clipless pedals. As others have said, they are more efficient, since you can power through the entire rotation, instead of just the downstroke. Clipping out when stopping becomes second nature. I did fall a few times when first used many many years ago. No issues since. PLus the riding shoes have stiffer soles. Less flex means less power loss.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #69  
Re behavior; Sure I understand but what really irks me is that they get away with all sorts of stuff that would cost me a fine and or demerit points.

We spend mega $$ creating bike paths, snow removal in winter for them to ride but about the only offset is the sales tax on the initial purchase.
A car pays about 20% at sale time and $100-250 annually for plates plus big %$ on the fuel sales.
We also fork out $$$$ for insurance but the cyclist has none of those costs.
Then if a cyclist passes on the right and hits your door you are at fault and get fined. (and at night w/o lights and no helmet)

Guess I just don't understand.
I enjoy many other outdoor healthy sports none of which are subsidized as much as cycling is.
To hunt or fish = a permit
Skiing= fees
Camping= fees
Swimming= fees quite often
Boating= reg and ins
etc, etc

Cycling= no fees, no helmet, no insurance.

Amen! Many, most bike riders think they own the road. They have no regard at all for automobiles. And zero regard for traffic laws. They're like roaches - free loading off of the vehicle public.

Although I have a couple of bikes as well as an over-taxed motorcycle, I think they should be licensed and taxed just like automobiles. And fined when they break the law. Build more bike routes? Yeah - let them pay for it!

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #70  
Amen! Many, most bike riders think they own the road. They have no regard at all for automobiles. And zero regard for traffic laws. They're like roaches - free loading off of the vehicle public.

Although I have a couple of bikes as well as an over-taxed motorcycle, I think they should be licensed and taxed just like automobiles. And fined when they break the law. Build more bike routes? Yeah - let them pay for it!

And how would bicycles be taxed? I paid sales tax on my bike and tax on all bike related purchases. I paid gas tax to transport the bike home, and again when I take it to and from the shop. How much damage does a bike do to the road versus a car or truck? What about my trail bike? Should that be taxed too? I don't ride it on roads. (and even my road bike never sees a bike lane-road or shoulder only-we don't have bike lanes in my part of the country-the road's been built and gets far more vehicular traffic than bike. I dare say bikes do less damage than semis.)

Should this be extended to runners and walkers? They break the laws, too (jaywalking comes to mind). Certainly sidewalks cost money for construction and the inevitable maintenance. So there is a pedestrian spend for their special walkways. Should we tax children to pay for parks and playgrounds? Kids get hurt on playgrounds. Should they be required to carry insurance? Perhaps they can get a bundled discount for their monkey bars, Schwinn Stingray and new pair of Keds.

And the insurance requirement is there to protect other motorists. In a car versus bike accident-how much damage is done to the car?

Last edited: