Cyclist's and their steeds

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #81  
All this antagonism between drivers and cyclists seems to be an example of an increase in aggression and tension we're seeing on the roads. When I ride, I run stop signs. At 10 mph with clear visibility, why not? I don't run stop signs if there is traffic. Most people are courteous and try to give bikers lots of space. A minority are just mind numb or in attack mode when they drive. I've been hit by a car that ran a stop sign (after first coming to a complete stop - she "didn't see" me). I've had people try to hit my arms when passing me, I've had people run me off the road, apparently to avoid slowing down and taking an extra 10 seconds to get where they are going.

I try to avoid busy roads but I'm not going to give up riding. Most of the world mixes cars and bikes successfully, we should be able to.
========================

I don't condone breaking traffic laws based on 'my' decision as to whether or not it's "safe" or not. It's those vehicles that you DON'T see, or didn't see you, that kills and injures people. I don't recall any traffic laws that are conditional. If you don't like whatever traffic law, petition it to be changed.

You won't find me attacking bicycle riders. I/we motorcycle riders face the same audience, but I for one obey traffic laws, whether anyone is watching or not watching. Your decision to 'not stop' for the sake of shaving 10 seconds off our your ride is the same 10 seconds that some people are agitated to shave 10 seconds off of their trip.

Oh, and by the way, don't even get me started on bicycle riders blocking highway traffic... If, big IF, you can ride at a speed that doesn't impede normal traffic flow, that's all fine. But I've seen some that lolly-gag alone, weaving in the highway lane simply to keep vehicles from passing. That's just not right, any way you cut it. And the same rule applies for motorcycles and automobiles...

Please - don't feel that I'm just raining on you. Joggers are next :)

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #82  
========================

Oh, and by the way, don't even get me started on bicycle riders blocking highway traffic... If, big IF, you can ride at a speed that doesn't impede normal traffic flow, that's all fine. But I've seen some that lolly-gag alone, weaving in the highway lane simply to keep vehicles from passing. That's just not right, any way you cut it. And the same rule applies for motorcycles and automobiles...

I know that's what it looks like but it's really not...they are not lolly-gaging and weaving without regard. the problem is with various club rides that allow too many riders on one ride therefore it's too big a group of people to move in any one direction at the same time..."taking up the road". it's kind of like a swarm of bees. they all move in the same direction while moving about within the swarm. it gets more complex when you add various riding skills and ability within the same group. And most likely, the bigger the group the less advanced the riders. However, as with motorcycle rides (and I've seen huge groups that take over the road) it's hard to tell someone they can't ride on the ride. A responsible club, motor cycle or no motor will and should limit any one group ride to 8-10...not 20 or 30. That is a reasonable request for all that use the roads in any manner.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #83  
It was just made law in Ontario that a motor vehicle must leave 1 meter (39 inches) between a cyclist and said vehicle when passing. I think the fine and victim surcharge (all fines have a vitim surcharge attached to them) is somewhere around $500.oo

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #84  
I know that's what it looks like but it's really not...they are not lolly-gaging and weaving without regard. the problem is with various club rides that allow too many riders on one ride therefore it's too big a group of people to move in any one direction at the same time..."taking up the road". it's kind of like a swarm of bees. they all move in the same direction while moving about within the swarm. it gets more complex when you add various riding skills and ability within the same group. And most likely, the bigger the group the less advanced the riders. However, as with motorcycle rides (and I've seen huge groups that take over the road) it's hard to tell someone they can't ride on the ride. A responsible club, motor cycle or no motor will and should limit any one group ride to 8-10...not 20 or 30. That is a reasonable request for all that use the roads in any manner.

I have a little sympathy for drivers, but it's one of those compromise things. We just had our biggest cycling event of the year. 6000 riders riding 15 miles to 100 miles. You can easily identify the casual and serious riders. The serious riders tend to be cranking away, single file, on the right side of the road. The casual riders are all over the place, three and four abreast. It's a well organized ride, mostly on very lightly traveled roads, with plenty of traffic control. Most people seem to be good with it because it's good for business and everyone knows people who participate.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #85  
I intersect a bike trail twice daily.
Carefully monitoring the riders habits over the last few weeks I have to say that not one rider has made a stop. (AND THEY DO HAVE SIGNS TO SAY SO)

On my outbound they intersect the road at an acute angle that I can not see if they are coming (being on right they have 'priority') but they still need to make their stop.
They actually have the nerve to wave and indicate that they do not plan to stop but point at me to say 'you stop'.
That trail is also shared by walkers that also expect all cars to yield.

Now if there is no traffic, cycle or pedestrian in sight and I ease thru on a rolling stop I am liable to a 3 demerits and $150 fine.
Ask me if I am PO'd?

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #86  
Cheer up; some places are considering a rolling stop for cyclist's!

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #87  
When I visited China first time about 25 years ago bicycle was the king of the road. There were only few cars on the road even in Beijing. If you visit China now car is the king of the road and bicycles are banned from from many roads.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #88  
It was just made law in Ontario that a motor vehicle must leave 1 meter (39 inches) between a cyclist and said vehicle when passing. I think the fine and victim surcharge (all fines have a vitim surcharge attached to them) is somewhere around $500.oo

They're contemplating a similar law here but it is all very well having a law and but what about trying to police it. Any dispute becomes a "he said ; she said" situation unless there was a photo or the event it was witnessed by the police.

One of the blokes in my riding group has a small triangular yellow flag attached to a piece of old car radio antenna which in turn is attached horizontally to the carrier on the rear of his bike. Whenever we go off track and back onto a road he always stops and extends the flag.

All in the group have hi-viz vests.

/ Cyclist's and their steeds #89  
Doesn't matter what the law is a 200-lb bike and rider will loose any argument with a 4000-lb car. Use common sense which most bike riders I see lack. Case in point, we were on our way to eat yesterday when a bike rider swerved into the side of a car about two car lengths ahead of us. The car had slowed and pulled over to the left of his lane but was meeting traffic and could go no further. The rider didn't go down but he made contact with the car.

The bike rider was an idiot! Heavily travelled street and acting like he owned it. Forcing traffic to back up and swerve around him.

Once again. An idiot