Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I've been wanting a work platform for quite some time, but never pulled the trigger on making one. Then I came across a Craigslist ad for 275 gallon IBC totes for only $25; yea I jumped on that and got two of them, I might go back and get a couple more, but I digress.

Took one apart yesterday. Pro Tip: If you are going to turn an IBC tote upside down and use the tractor to remove the plastic water tank, close the valve first. That way you won't break off the handle! OOPS!

IBC tote upside down and tank removed:

IMG_20170304_155152431 (Large).jpgIMG_20170304_155136133 (Large).jpgIMG_20170304_155127718 (Large).jpg

Cut out the side entrance, took about 15 seconds with my Ridgid battery-powered sawzall and carbide blade:

IMG_20170304_155732042 (Large).jpg

Installed safety gate chain:

IMG_20170304_162528283 (Large).jpg

Need a place to hold and/or store tools and stuff so I'm not bending over; no problem, 20mm ammo box to the rescue! I also added a rubber mat I had laying around so there would be no slipping on the shiny steel floor.

IMG_20170304_165909554 (Large).jpgIMG_20170304_165917131 (Large).jpg

And the final product in it's natural habitat:

IMG_20170304_170706935 (Large).jpgIMG_20170304_170714565 (Large).jpg

The bottom of the tote is just above 8', so I could reach it using my 8' ladder. However, I'm really hoping I can teach my wife enough to use the tractor to lift me up while she's in the seat.

Hope you enjoyed it!

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform #2  
I have been needing a platform also I may have to try this. did you fix a way to secure it to the tractor, if it skids off the forks it will hurt.

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform #3  
How do you get up there? Rely on another driver or from a ladder?

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform
I have been needing a platform also I may have to try this. did you fix a way to secure it to the tractor, if it skids off the forks it will hurt.

In the last pic, you can see the 1" ratchet I used to secure it to the tractor forks for just posing for the pics. When I use the platform at height, I'll use a 2" 3K lb WLL ratchet strap to keep it tight against the fork body.

How do you get up there? Rely on another driver or from a ladder?

The last paragraph: "The bottom of the tote is just above 8', so I could reach it using my 8' ladder. However, I'm really hoping I can teach my wife enough to use the tractor to lift me up while she's in the seat."

I haven't used it yet for real, just had it in the air for pics. I gotta feeling that +99% of the time I'll be using the ladder. Training my wife to use/drive the tractor may be a hill too hard to climb.......

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform #6  
The last paragraph: "The bottom of the tote is just above 8', so I could reach it using my 8' ladder. However, I'm really hoping I can teach my wife enough to use the tractor to lift me up while she's in the seat."

I haven't used it yet for real, just had it in the air for pics. I gotta feeling that +99% of the time I'll be using the ladder. Training my wife to use/drive the tractor may be a hill too hard to climb.......

If you do go the wife route, I would advise spending about a day having her operate the basket/tractor with some weight in it (not you) It will react differently with and without weight, and I hope your tractor has an hydrostatic transmission, that will make creeping toward the building much easier especially for an operator without years of experience.

I would also suggest that you do the absolute minimum of travel with the basket. In other words, get it set up on level ground right next to the building so the operation will just consist of raising and tilt, not much ground travel.

She will have to get used to the idea of moving up a bit and adjusting the tilt, and repeating that motion. It also depends, on the person. Some people have steady nerves and a steady head. Some don't. I would trust my life to some people and have, and others, meh, not so much.

/ Daddy has a new bag!!! Tractor Work Platform #7  
Thanks. I've always relied on a ladder because I'm too scared to rely on somebody at the controls not dumping me. I know a guy that had is son in law, who is an Air Force fighter pilot, run his tractor while he stood in the bucket trimming branches. It worked great until his son in law got too close to a branch that flipped him out of the bucket and onto his back on the ground!!!!

If you do go the wife route, I would advise spending about a day having her operate the basket/tractor with some weight in it (not you) It will react differently with and without weight, and I hope your tractor has an hydrostatic transmission, that will make creeping toward the building much easier especially for an operator without years of experience.

I would also suggest that you do the absolute minimum of travel with the basket. In other words, get it set up on level ground right next to the building so the operation will just consist of raising and tilt, not much ground travel.

She will have to get used to the idea of moving up a bit and adjusting the tilt, and repeating that motion. It also depends, on the person. Some people have steady nerves and a steady head. Some don't. I would trust my life to some people and have, and others, meh, not so much.

That pretty much kills that idea right there. There's no way she'll spend a day learning a tractor.

Absolutely agree on the minimum travel bit while in the platform.

Thanks. I've always relied on a ladder because I'm too scared to rely on somebody at the controls not dumping me. I know a guy that had is son in law, who is an Air Force fighter pilot, run his tractor while he stood in the bucket trimming branches. It worked great until his son in law got too close to a branch that flipped him out of the bucket and onto his back on the ground!!!!

I agree, I believe I'll be using the ladder as well.

But that's all right, climbing in and out isn't that big a deal since I can hold onto the basket while doing so. And working at heights will be ok as well since I'll be on solid "ground" (i.e. the basket floor).

Thanks,

Got to use the work platform several times over the last couple of days.

I replaced incandescent flood lights with LEDs in two light fixtures. One of them could have been done with a ladder, the other was too tall for my 8' step ladder. I'm not pleased with "flood" aspect of the lights, too "spotty" but I can live with it especially since now I won't be having to replace them all the time like I did with the incans.

Then I installed the 7280 lumen LED outdoor light about 16-18' up in the air yesterday: Holy Cow is that a bright light!!!

So far it's been very easy to use and far more convenient to use than climbing a ladder all the time with tools, fasteners etc. Load up the platform, lift it up and position it, put ladder up then go to work, easy peasey.

Thanks,