DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe #1  

Metsaman

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson
I found very dangerous faulty in Towable backhoe, wheels bearings are ruined even new machines.!!

This can cause bad accident if wheels stop rotate when You tow this backhoe on Your car etc.

Here video in problem and how to fix it.

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe #3  
Things could be worse eh? Good thing you did not have an accident.

There is usually a cotter pin that should be installed keeping the axle nut in place. I did not see this but it appears that the spindle has the required hole and the nut is shaped to accommodate. If I were you I would take the bearing cover off and install this pin. Very cheap insurance to keep the nut from loosening or tightening.
Also.... I pack the bearings rather then just applying grease to the outside

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe

There is usually a cotter pin that should be installed keeping the axle nut in place. I did not see this but it appears that the spindle has the required hole and the nut is shaped to accommodate. If I were you I would take the bearing cover off and install this pin. Very cheap insurance to keep the nut from loosening or tightening.

This could be quite worse if I notice this in time.. glad I did because other wheels bearing are already ruined and they was metal pieces in side.. I wonder how it is possible that wheel overall rotates...

Sharp notice from You, I actually put that pin in place I just cut in those part off in video because it looks quite boring...

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe #5  

:thumbsup: On the cotter pin to keep the castle nut from loosening or tightening. I also did bot see a grease fitting on the axle hub. I would have drilled a hole and inserted a grease zerk to allow for greasing in the future.

:thumbsup: On the cotter pin to keep the castle nut from loosening or tightening. I also did bot see a grease fitting on the axle hub. I would have drilled a hole and inserted a grease zerk to allow for greasing in the future.

You are right of course, axle hub is light plastic cub and I think You can not add grease zerk on it... in future I cone add grease zerk on wheels centre frame but not have time to do it now.

I put quite lot of grease this bearings and like to say that I packed those qite good. :)

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe #8  
I put quite lot of grease this bearings and like to say that I packed those qite good. :)

Yes you did and I believe your application is adequate in this case.
When you have small wheels traveling at high speeds, the rpm increases exponentially. This will cause more heat and wear, so getting the grease in between the rollers is important in my opinion.

This is how I do it..... YMMV

/ DANGER FAULT in towable ATV backhoe #9  
With bearings run dry like that (quite incredible really!), I would expect the bearing races in the hub to be damaged as well. Not shown in the video, did you replace them? If not, damaged races will likely cause the new bearings to fail.

Yes you did and I believe your application is adequate in this case.
When you have small wheels traveling at high speeds, the rpm increases exponentially. This will cause more heat and wear, so getting the grease in between the rollers is important in my opinion.

This is how I do it..... YMMV

Yes, that is important if You tow this backhoe lot on roads but I just tow it My property with tractor and not high speed on roads so I think that is enough.. future I going to add grease nipple on wheels centre.