DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I just received this as an email:

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS A HUNTING CAMP OR DRIVES THROUGH GATES AT THE REFUGE.

Most of us have to drive through access gates at some point of our driving careers.
We have had numerous incidents with gates swinging in the wind and hitting vehicles.
This guy caught a gate that was probably hidden by the tree line as he rounded the corner.

Share the following pictures as you see fit with your work groups.
Look at all four pictures to see how lucky this guy really was.
gate 1.jpg
gate 2.jpg
gate 3.jpg
gate 4.jpg

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #2  
The person driving was very lucky indeed. Just a few more inches and could have been a real life altering accident. Good thing is it looks like the only thing damaged was the gate and truck.

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #3  
He must have been going at a pretty good clip for the pipe to penetrate that far.
MarkV

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #4  
the way I see it gates are up for a reason.I have a gate going into my camp.I had to reinstall it twice now because some a**hole drove over it to see what was behind it.I could see where they had trouble pulling it down from the huge deep spin marks in the dirt so they pushed it until it bent over and drove over it.When I got to the camp there were beer bottles every where and the wood stove was still hot,which means i just missed them.I think if i would have caught them they would have been better off getting hurt at the gate.when it comes to destroying some one's property,[B]My motto is shoot first and bury on sight

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #5  
sorry guys .it just p***** me off when people destroy someone's property.if they wanted to see what behind the gate they could have shut the vehicle off and walked around the gate.I didn't block the main road to my land just the driveway going to the camp

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #6  
I feel your pain, ihuntbear. Long ago I finally decided to stop seeking to crawl into the mind and motivations of folks that do crazy things. Using my logic doesn't work because I'm not crazy. They are...that's why they do crazy things...it truly seemed to them to be the right thing to do at the time, thus revealing the conclusion of their thoughts, and that they are CRAZY:confused2:

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #7  
About 25 years ago, before we lived here full time, we used to come and camp on our property. It is at the end of the road, nice spot with couple acres of meadow by the creek, used to be an old homestead. It was a party place with the usual beer bottles etc. Put a steel cable across the road with padlock. One weekend when we were camping on the property someone stole the cable. They had a lot on nerve. We have lived here for 12 years now and still get lookie loos come down the private road even though there are about 10 PRIVATE DRIVEWAY signs along the road.

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #8  
The driver of that Chevy was very lucky!

There was a show on Discovery Health called Impact: Stories of Survival. This exact thing happened to a guy in Texas, if I remember right. He worked for a utility company (water maybe). Anyway, he was driving along and took his eyes off the road for a second. Well, the open gate pieced his truck and then pierced him. It killed the electrical system in his truck so he couldn't use his CB to call for help. Another guy came along working for another company and called for help. The pole took out some of the guy's colon and just missed his spine. He was extremely lucky.

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #9  
I just received this as an email:

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS A HUNTING CAMP OR DRIVES THROUGH GATES AT THE REFUGE.

Most of us have to drive through access gates at some point of our driving careers.
We have had numerous incidents with gates swinging in the wind and hitting vehicles.
This guy caught a gate that was probably hidden by the tree line as he rounded the corner.

Share the following pictures as you see fit with your work groups.
Look at all four pictures to see how lucky this guy really was.

Is that a stain on the seat? I know I would have left one behind.

/ DANGERS OF AN OPEN GATE #10  
I used to work out at a gym with a guy who investigated accidents for an insurance company. He brought pictures of a pipe coming off of a truck, and going through a car, and killing the driver. The pipe somehow came up through the firewall, behind the engine, and through her chest. It was very clean looking in the pictures, no blood, just a pipe sticking through her chest.

Eddie