DAVID BROWN power steerin needed

/ DAVID BROWN power steerin needed #1  

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I have a buddy that owns a 1971 David Brown mod 880.

The power steering cylinder incorporates a built in valve assy that is un repairable.

If anybody can source a PS unit, I'd be appreciative.

/ DAVID BROWN power steerin needed #2  
Check with your Case ag dealer. Case bought out David Brown in the early '70's so they should be able to get parts for an 880. We had a '76 990 Case/David Brown. I got all my parts from the Case dealer.

/ DAVID BROWN power steerin needed #3  
I've seen valve-in-cyl PS setup like that on fords... Besides.. DB went to case.. which is now CNH anyway...

I'll bet you can find a ford valve in cyl ps setup that you could adapt (torch, big hammer, welder ) to fit your needs.. OR.. hit a salvage yard like wengers of pa.

soundguy

/ DAVID BROWN power steerin needed #4  
I worked at a dealer out in Pa a few years ago that serviced hundreds of those machines. A lot of the parts weren't easily available anymore but one source we did use a lot was a salvage yard in Meyerstown. I think their name was Wengers. They were very good about sending us parts we needed for the DB and other older tractors.

I had to reline clutches and brakes myself there for them too. I remember linings were available but not whole assemblies. Most of the steering systems I rebuilt were relatively easy and seals and things like that were on the shelf but I have had to bring work home with me a few times to make parts in my machine shop. You'd be amazed what a good machinist can make and it's not always very expensive.