Dead bird on frozen lawn

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
New Year's Eve was the coldest night of the year so far-- 22F. Our pond is half frozen over this morning.

I found a dead woodpecker on the frozen lawn this morning. No marks on him-- looks like he just died and fell out of a tree above. Can birds freeze to death or do you suspect it was something else?

Woodpecker.jpg

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #2  
Most likely something else. 22 degrees isn't really all that cold for most birds.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #3  
Poor lil bugger might have been sick and depended on O'care keeping his doctor n'all.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #4  
Critters don't live forever...probably just his time to go.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #5  
we have a half dozen varieties of woodpeckers in our woods during the winter including the giant pileated and our temps can regularly go below zero without effecting them so it was probably something else that did it in.....cold weather may have accelerated it a little........Jack

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #6  
New Year's Eve was the coldest night of the year so far-- 22F. Our pond is half frozen over this morning.

I found a dead woodpecker on the frozen lawn this morning. No marks on him-- looks like he just died and fell out of a tree above. Can birds freeze to death or do you suspect it was something else?

+22F isn't enough to kill birds but -22F is another story. You can help them survive by feeding.

Audubon Guide to Winter Bird-Feeding | Audubon

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #7  

View attachment 585402

Probably nature but you could put a sympathy card and baloon by him

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #8  
Misjudge broken neck???

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #9  
No way to know without doing an autopsy.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #10  
I found a poor frozen Porcupine. Sorriest thing I ever did see. Poor guy didn't have a very merry Christmas. I am going to gather some wood and have a funeral fire. Too cold to bury.