Dead bird on frozen lawn

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #11  
New Year's Eve was the coldest night of the year so far-- 22F. Our pond is half frozen over this morning.

I found a dead woodpecker on the frozen lawn this morning. No marks on him-- looks like he just died and fell out of a tree above. Can birds freeze to death or do you suspect it was something else?

View attachment 585402

Looks to me like the only problem is the cold only killed one woodpecker.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #12  
+22 F shouldn't really kill a healthy bird. Maybe just old age.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #13  
I will loose a few birds every year due to "crash". For whatever reason - fly, full speed, directly into one of my picture windows. I can alway tell when it happens. Sounds like somebody thru a hardball up against the window. Usually a sparrow, some times a robin. NEVER a woodpecker( flicker ).

Nature is impartial - probably old age.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #14  
I will loose a few birds every year due to "crash". For whatever reason - fly, full speed, directly into one of my picture windows. I can alway tell when it happens. Sounds like somebody thru a hardball up against the window. Usually a sparrow, some times a robin. NEVER a woodpecker( flicker ).

I second this. I have a very large picture window an no matter what I do, I still get crashes from song birds and an occasional robin but never a woodpecker especially a Pileated. Old age or sickness is my guess.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #15  
I stuck a black sillouette of a bird on my windows and it seems to keep birds from flying into them. Another lower level window window where a grouse or partridge flew THROUGH, I replaced with tempered glass. It's not the first time they flew through the glass and they make a helll of a mess!

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #16  
I'd say he lost the argument

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #17  
For those who don't know - Amber, WA is in NE WA state. Regarding our wild turkeys. Fortunately my lab keeps them away from the house and outbuildings. Otherwise, I would fully expect them to avoid potential injury RE: flying glass on a broken window. As aggressive and numerous as they have become - they would stomp up on my porch and kick in the front door.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #18  
For those who don't know - Amber, WA is in NE WA state. Regarding our wild turkeys. Fortunately my lab keeps them away from the house and outbuildings. Otherwise, I would fully expect them to avoid potential injury RE: flying glass on a broken window. As aggressive and numerous as they have become - they would stomp up on my porch and kick in the front door.

I have a friend that feeds them...then complains about the droppings all over his lawn and driveway. Says the flocks run to 50 or more birds a couple times a day.

/ Dead bird on frozen lawn #19  
Neighbor fed them until it became obvious - it would soon become a financial hardship. Game Dept estimated 150 to 200 birds in her yard. She quit feeding - they tore her yard, lawns, plants, small trees to shreds. They crapped everywhere. So many bird in her yard - very wise to slow down as passing her house - contact with bird(s) imminent.