Dead groundhog in pool

/ Dead groundhog in pool #31  
I'm just wondering how these critters get over a 7' tall fence and past two German Shepherd guard dogs at night to take their fateful dip in our pool. It seems that I have a nightly invasion of frogs that appear intent on suicide by pool and my skimmers are full of bugs if the kids swim at night the night before with the underwater lights on.

:)

Only pool owners can appreciate the animal suicide sattement.

I especially liked getting snakes out of the pool, the skimmer was the most fun! :)

/ Dead groundhog in pool #32  
I also find 1-2 birds floating around ( dead of course) about every week

/ Dead groundhog in pool
The pool that I was talking about wasn't actually a swimming pool we swam in the river when I was growing up, Had a clifft that we could dive off of and a swing that was tied off to a tree that was on top of the clifft the clifft was about 100 ft high. We had a lot of fun back then during the summers seemed like the river was clean[with the exception of that one thing], and even today the river is clean looking. ;)

Same here.I swam in the river. However, my river wasn't so clean. Catfish were lucky to live in it. Each town dumped crap into river. Mills and chemical plants also used the river for waste run off. However, I think the biggest danger for us kids was the tow boats that pushed 1000s of tons of coal as we swam around them.

Today my river is clean and we have trout and other fish in it. I think many of the clean up rules are good.

Cheers

/ Dead groundhog in pool
I my skimmers are full of bugs if the kids swim at night the night before with the underwater lights on.

I used to get the bugs too. I quit using the pool lite and use spot lights aimed into the pool. If placed right there is plenty of light for safety. When I replaced liner a few yrs ago I didn't put the pool light back in.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ Dead groundhog in pool #35  
This should kill must things but I just read about Crypto(sp) that is a virus that killed a bunch dan

Cryptosporidium.. if that is what you refer to is a protozoan.. not a virus. and yes.. it's shell makes it quite ressitant to chlorine.

In this situation.. if it were me? i'd superchlorinate the pool and move on.. as has been mentioned rabies is very fragile outside a host..

soundguy

Cryptosporidium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Dead groundhog in pool #36  
Speaking of rabies....

A week ago Tuesday we had a bat in the house. I used to just capture them and toss them out the window, but lately they are saying the bats around here are carrying rabies and all of them should be tested. So I catch the bat and call the county health dept. the next morning. They tell me to call the county humane society. CHS picks it up and takes it to a local vet that handles the county bat calls. They kill it, pack it, put it on a greyhound bus and send it to the state health dept. for testing. I'm told I will get a call within 24 hours if it tests positive. I ask what if it tests negative? Hmmm. they don't notify you of that. How do I know if they ever got the bat to test it in the first place? So two days later, I start calling around. Guess what? No one can find the bat! :eek: Rabies shots cost between $900 and $1600 per person based on weight, plus a few hundred more for booster shots. So, I'm looking at the potential for $6000 if the thing tests positive. The Indianapolis lab is closed for remodeling so they are sending all the bats to Kentucky for testing. They don't have a hone number for the Kentucky lab. I google it and talk to the Dr. in charge of Kentucky bats lab. He says they don't have it and never got it. The local vet and health dept track it down to Indy. Indy finds it on a bus for Chicago! :eek: Fortunately, none of us got bitten and the stupid bat was not locked up in a room with my kids overnight. Anyhow... I work at the local newspaper and they happen to be doing a story on several local folks that have had similar problems with the Indy bat lab, so I ad to the story in the paper. That seems to get things going. 29 phone calls, several govt. agencies, a vet and a med Dr. and 8 days later they find the bat at the Indy lab and it tests negative.:rolleyes:

Good Grief! Chlorinate that pool!!! :D

/ Dead groundhog in pool #37  
Dang.. glad to hear all was ok!

( just curious.. any idea what type of bat it was? )

soundguy

/ Dead groundhog in pool #38  
Dang.. glad to hear all was ok!

( just curious.. any idea what type of bat it was? )

soundguy

Most likely a little brown bat, which is not really little at all. Its body was about 3.5" long and it's wingspan was 8-10 inches. And it had lots of little tiny sharp teeth, too. Tough little bugger. I whacked it with the broom at least 6 times before it got tangled in the cables behind my computer. I was able to grab it with my heavy gloves and put it in a rubber storage tub. It was very active the next day, too. My wife wanted me to save the container, so I put the whole thing in a trash bag, sealed it and opened the container from outside the bag. No sooner had I opened it did I see teeth coming thought he bag. I shook him down to one end of the bag, sealed that end off and removed the container from the other end of the bag. The Humane Society was just driving up, so I handed it to the guy. He put it in a box.

I've dealt with bats many times over the years and thought nothing of it. But now they carry rabies so often, you have to be careful. The Dr.'s all said if you wake up at night in a closed room and there is a bat in there, or you find one in your child's closed room, best to have it tested. The bites can be almost undetectable. Just a scratch, really. In our case, we're pretty sure the cats were on it as soon as it moved and it did not spend any time in the bedrooms with the wife or kids.

Now I have to spend some time sealing up the house better. I'll check the ridge and gable vents for holes in the screens and put a screen over the chimney as well. They say if you can stick your finger in a hole a bat can squeeze through it.

My med Dr. also suggested I keep a light on in the attic as bats don't like the light. Sound like a good location for a low wattage C.F. bulb or two.;)

/ Dead groundhog in pool #39  
Neat story, thanks for sharing.

soundguy

/ Dead groundhog in pool #40  
Back to pool stories. :) One year the winter cover came off of the corner of our above ground pool and we did not notice. A squirrel fell in, shredded the liner, then drown. We did not have to worry about cleaning the water, as we had to drain the entire thing to replace the liner. :rolleyes: