Decent battery charger

/ Decent battery charger #41  
That's a good point too, battery disconnect will do away with a lot of those parasitic loses, as long as you aren't leaking across the top of a dirty battery.
I've always been OCD about that stuff so my batteries are always clean on top and no corrosion on the terminals either. I disconnect like I use, I don't believe it would work on a newer tractor with a computer control. I believe the computer has to have power to it all the time. Not sure however.

/ Decent battery charger #42  
I've always been OCD about that stuff so my batteries are always clean on top and no corrosion on the terminals either. I disconnect like I use, I don't believe it would work on a newer tractor with a computer control. I believe the computer has to have power to it all the time. Not sure however.
I think so - like the new cars. They are collecting and monitoring so much data

/ Decent battery charger #43  
what-is-this.jpg

Bruce

/ Decent battery charger #44  
I have a quite a few battery chargers and maintainers, my best and favorite is the old school transformer type Schumacher farm and ranch model with timer with that being said I believe a diodes out on it awaiting motivation to repair, reason I think that is timer shuts off, amp gauge is still lit from battery power unless I disconnect it. One thing I don't like about modern electronic chargers is they won't charge a battery that's completely drained I believe you can't use the jumpstart feature either if it has it.

Attachments

• KIMG1312.JPG
    KIMG1312.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
   / Decent battery charger #45  
I have a quite a few battery chargers and maintainers, my best and favorite is the old school transformer type Schumacher farm and ranch model with timer with that being said I believe a diodes out on it awaiting motivation to repair, reason I think that is timer shuts off, amp gauge is still lit from battery power unless I disconnect it. One thing I don't like about modern electronic chargers is they won't charge a battery that's completely drained I believe you can't use the jumpstart feature either if it has it.
The NOCO chargers will charge a completely dead battery. They have steps to do it in manual.

/ Decent battery charger #46  
I don't believe it would work on a newer tractor with a computer control. I believe the computer has to have power to it all the time. Not sure however.
Can't see why it wouldn't. All the configuration settings are in non-volatile memory in the computers. It's not like a car radio that'll lose its presets if it loses power. Removing the battery in a modern on-road vehicle doesn't lose odometer, etc.

/ Decent battery charger #47  
View attachment 769079
Best charger I have ever had. At 8 amps it's not a fast charger, but certainly an overnight recharge for a dead battery. Also a great maintainer / desulfator, and can maintain multiple batteries.

Battery Minder also makes less expensive 2 amp maintainers that are very popular.
Amazon has this same charger for around $180. Just saying.

/ Decent battery charger #48  
I've never had a Schumacher go bad. Some here are from 1992 because I remember buying them. I wouldn't chunk an old one. New ones charge different.
Same here with a Schumacher as long as it is an older model. I ran over mine with my tractor and it still works better than a newer one I tried, just looks kinda sideways. Jumpstarts, trickles, 6v or 12 v.

/ Decent battery charger #49  
My old (possibly vacuum-tube) charger from Sears works fine (2amp or 10 amp) for the tractor, smaller ones for atv's and dirt bikes. Big problem around here is frequent cold-weather power outages. Will the chargers reverse flow when the power is out ? My JD 950 seems to discharge if I shut it down and leave key installed. even in the the "off" position. So I always take it out. Nothing like a dead battery when your tractor is a half mile out in a soft freshly-plowed field.

/ Decent battery charger #50  
Will the chargers reverse flow when the power is out ?

Don't know about your old one. But I have 3 chargers and multiple battery maintainers and all of them have circuitry to not allow reverse flow. We have a lot of power outages and internet outages around here also!