Decent used truck?

/ Decent used truck? #61  
Last weekend I added my Tekonsha brake controller to that 2003 Suburban I mentioned the other day. I'd ordered a plug kit from O'Reilly for under $20. It was plug and play right into the fusebox. Mounted the controller under the right-side dash. The truck was already wired with the 7-pin from the factory. Tried it out with our car hauler to get a couple yards of mulch. Worked just fine. Just what we wanted it for.

/ Decent used truck? #62  
Having just parted with my 2010 Ram 1500 since the engine needed to be replaced (due to the known lifter-induced cam damage problem with 5.7 Hemi) I'd advise that it's worth being cautious when it comes to "high" mileage (>150k) Hemi engines.

Not complaining since I managed to get 185k miles out of it from new (and it was actually used as a truck), but just passing on that if you start looking at Ram trucks (or even the older Dodge Rams) some of the Hemi engines are known to develop this problem. Which in ways is made worse since there's another known issue with a manifold bolt breaking which can sound just like the start of the cam-shaft damage.

Personally I was seriously considering replacing the engine (for ~$7k) since the rest of the truck was in great shape (only other issue I ever had was the rear differential needing repairs at 100k - which was done under recall/warranty). However, between the need for higher hauling/towing capacity and other factors I ended up selling it ...and now I just need to find a decent low trim Ram 2500.

BTW ...coming at this from not looking at trucks in the last 11 years, it's surprised me how much gadgetry is standard in even the new base Tradesman models. Though the increases in fuel economy and capabilities have also gotten pretty impressive. ...

/ Decent used truck? #63  
Since this thread is about the cost of used trucks, my dealer informed me yesterday that my wife's trade in value since we ordered her new truck in Feb is up almost 8K... $53,000 bucks for a 2018 F150 Platinum with 36,000 miles... Crazy...

/ Decent used truck? #64  
Having just parted with my 2010 Ram 1500 since the engine needed to be replaced (due to the known lifter-induced cam damage problem with 5.7 Hemi) I'd advise that it's worth being cautious when it comes to "high" mileage (>150k) Hemi engines.

Not complaining since I managed to get 185k miles out of it from new (and it was actually used as a truck), but just passing on that if you start looking at Ram trucks (or even the older Dodge Rams) some of the Hemi engines are known to develop this problem. Which in ways is made worse since there's another known issue with a manifold bolt breaking which can sound just like the start of the cam-shaft damage.

Personally I was seriously considering replacing the engine (for ~$7k) since the rest of the truck was in great shape (only other issue I ever had was the rear differential needing repairs at 100k - which was done under recall/warranty). However, between the need for higher hauling/towing capacity and other factors I ended up selling it ...and now I just need to find a decent low trim Ram 2500.

BTW ...coming at this from not looking at trucks in the last 11 years, it's surprised me how much gadgetry is standard in even the new base Tradesman models. Though the increases in fuel economy and capabilities have also gotten pretty impressive. ...
Yeah the Tradesman's not a bad truck at all. Comes with a lot of standard features. I almost bought one! One feature I absolutely love is the ventilated seats. Nothing beats em on a hot day of farming.🥵 One feature my Laramie came with is power pedals.....havent used em, and dont think I ever will.:unsure:

/ Decent used truck? #65  
Since this thread is about the cost of used trucks, my dealer informed me yesterday that my wife's trade in value since we ordered her new truck in Feb is up almost 8K... $53,000 bucks for a 2018 F150 Platinum with 36,000 miles... Crazy...
WOW.. Good for you

/ Decent used truck? #66  
Good luck. Even used trucks are out of sight in price. Saw a local 2007 4X4 Dodge 2500 diesel / 215,000 miles listed for 30K. And yes, it's a Dodge

I have similar truck I bought 15 yrs ago used for 23K. It now has 125 K miles on the clock.

/ Decent used truck? #67  
One feature my Laramie came with is power pedals.....havent used em, and dont think I ever will.:unsure:
Yeah, that's one reason I'm looking at the lower trim models .... the higher end ones have a lot of things I don't need or want, and I definitely don't want to pay for especially at current prices.

Have had a vehicle develop significant electrical problems before so I'm not a fan of having any more electrical devices than absolutely necessary to get the increased performance of modern vehicles. Amusingly the most significant electrical issues I've had was on my first car; a 1975 Pontiac Ventura where I was the second owner (after it'd been sitting for years). So not exactly a vehicle with a lot of electronics to begin with though I've also seen enough more complicated vehicles with electrical issues to know that that's one problem to avoid acquiring on a primary vehicle.

I've also had (& witnessed) enough bad used vehicle experiences that I don't have a problem buying new -- mostly since I tend keep vehicles long enough to be the last (non-scrap yard) owner.

...and it may just be me, but while I'm no vehicle genius as non-mechanical as most of the population has seemingly become I'd rather hang onto a good vehicle for as long as feasible rather than get caught up in game of roulette trying to find a good vehicle - or fix one that could have been either abused or even just not-maintained by someone else. .....at least not as a primary/only vehicle.

/ Decent used truck? #68  

Yeah, that's one reason I'm looking at the lower trim models .... the higher end ones have a lot of things I don't need or want, and I definitely don't want to pay for especially at current prices.

...and it may just be me, but while I'm no vehicle genius as non-mechanical as most of the population has seemingly become I'd rather hang onto a good vehicle for as long as feasible rather than get caught up in game of roulette trying to find a good vehicle - or fix one that could have been either abused or even just not-maintained by someone else. .....at least not as a primary/only vehicle.
It's not just you. Maybe 40 years ago it made some sort of sense to trade vehicles every 3-4 years, but today not so much, especially given the obscenely expensive prices they're getting for them today. Not in the market for a truck right now, but I did check online to see what's "out there". Not much, and it was hard to find anything even 10 years old for less than $30k. Maybe a few toyotas, but I'm not interested in them.
Generally I'll get something 8-10 years old that's been well maintained, and drive it 'til it's dust.

I generally prefer the lower trim trucks myself...it's a work vehicle, not a luxury car. I have no need for wifi, blue tooth or all the other gizmos they're putting in vehicles today, why pay for something I won't use? Getting hard to find though.

/ Decent used truck? #70  
I remember a Ventura running around the area back in the 80's that had a vanity license plate:

NoNova

:LOL: I could understand that as often as I had people coming up to me thinking I was driving Nova and didn't know about the other GMC vehicles that shared the same frame. However, it was interesting though to talk to some who knew the whole line - or joked that Nova was not only a car, but also an acronym for Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo.