Deciding between L series & MX

/ Deciding between L series & MX #11  
Hello all!

I think I have read over 500 'which kubota should i get" threads and you'd think I'd have all my answers and confidence...but yet am adding thread #501!

I maintain about 80 acres with over 50 in CRP, 10 or so cash rented row crop and the rest woods. My main job is mowing fire borders, between trees, etc, but am needing to clear some blow down in the woods, get some rip rap along creek banks, maintain gravel drives better, etc. On occassion I need to pull a 10' glencoe cultivator and maybe a disc. my mower is 7ft

Right now, i use a gas 1966 4020, wide front, NO loader. Its not all adequate...too tall for mowing under trees, huge turning radius

So, I've been all over the map. Am convinced that the L series is best choice of 3 family and deere..not sure about MX vs 4 series.

Im debating among the following and curious to opinions here:

- Keep the 4020 and go for a small L series like L2501 to stay away from emisisons with a loader and maybe a backhoe

- get a larger l3901 or l4701 or maybe even an mx4801...to try and do everything..mow, ground engaging work, etc.

Id rather only maintain 1 tractor and try to get a 1size fits all and think the L4701 or mx48 is the way to go..but am wondering if too large for some finer work in and around the woods. I thnk I could then keep my 7ft mower

any thoughts or advice as to the 4701 or ms 48 in woods and things? One creek bank in though woods, down a slope and think the larger tractor could get larger pieces of rip rap down there...but the small might be easier to get in and out.

I could sure use the extra barn space of only 1 tractor tho! Pls lmk any opinons on the l47 or mx48 as a do-all one size type of solution. thanks
!

My MX5200 has no problems handling a Land Pride RCD1884 (84", 900 #), recommended HP requirements are 35-60 HP, well within the MX4800's range.

I added the Land Pride 3rd function kit (a little over $700 from Messick's), took about 3 hours to install. Much cheaper than my dealer quoted (it was they're busy season).

Will be adding rear remotes this summer. From what I've read, Kubota's remotes have been somewhat problematic, not to mention costly. I will be doing my own courtesy of some great instructions on this site. LD1 added remotes to his MX5100 http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/367641-mx5100-3-remotes-under-500-a.html which will be my go-to for this project.

If going with Kubota, and if it were me, I would seriously look at the MX5200 over the 4800. It just has that extra oomph to handle what ever I throw at it. I would also strongly recommend loading the rears or adding wheel weights.

My:2cents:.

/ Deciding between L series & MX #12  
I have a MX5100 and had an L3800 before that. The MX will allow you to set the wheels much wider if you have any hills and is much more stable. As for a 7' cutter - I often run a 6' on my 5100 and cut one field this year where it was thick and everything was as high as my ROPS without any problem. If you are not in super thick dense grass a 7' would be fine.
As for the turbo - wouldn't worry about it at all, they are solid and while you hear people worrying about them you rarely ever hear of an issue. Also if you work at any elevation the turbo will help you out at bit there also.
As for HST - if you are doing loader work, working in tight areas and not out plowing fields all day I wouldn't think twice, it is a good solid reliable drive system and you get cruise control since you mentioned it.
Good luck

/ Deciding between L series & MX #13  
in terms of the mower, personally would opt for a med-hd 6' model. 7' is an odd size. once owned L4400 then upped to mx5000. used a 6' bush hog (fairly heavy duty) that worked just fine. imho 7' would be awkward and possibly unstable for an mx. know other members may disagree also, given the size of the 7' blades, they can generate a lot of vibration when hitting objects.

as far as L vs MX, i agree w/other posters that the mx series is the way to go. get the largest mx model you can afford best regards

Last edited:
   / Deciding between L series & MX #14  
I have both an MX5100 and an L4300 and while they are physically similar, the MX is, by far, a better choice in my view. It's heavier, feels more stable, has more weight options and I think is more comfortable. When it's too tall I fold the ROBS down. There are many posts with "I should have gone with a bigger tractor" and it's true. I can't recall any post that said they should have gone with a smaller tractor.

And just for the heck of it, keep the other tractor as well. You already know all the problems and are comfortable with it. I regret every tractor I ever sold and there are a few threads with similar opinions. Never sell any tractor ever or you will probably regret it. Keeping it allows the operational comforts and is a way of building assets as you go through life. Sell it and six months from now you'll have little memory of where the money went. Plus, no tractor. Go bigger, keep both and that's the secret. :)

/ Deciding between L series & MX #15  
thanks for all the input everyone!!!

@SDT....my 7ft mower is probably med duty at best. 'most' of my mowing is pretty light if I keep up with it.

So you are saying you think a 7 ft brush mower is too much for even the mx4800? i def want to mow as wide as rear wheels and pref just a bit wider. the mx4800 wheelbase is 74.6, the l4701 is 72.6.

also looks like the same engine all the way from 4701 to mx5200. the rating for 4701 is 2600 rpm and 4800 is 2700 and the 5200 is 2700 + the turbo. To me, this is a plus for the L4701 column
'

edit: as a side note for anyone else debating between L4701 versus L3901 or smaller. the L4701 comes std with cruise control on the hst. that would make the choice between 3901 and 4701 a no brainer imo.

It depends upon what you are mowing, how often you plan to mow it and how fast you expect to travel when mowing, among other things.

I use a Woods BB720X 6' rotary cutter on my L6060 and it's all it wants some of the time. My mower is heavy, some of my ground is steep and some of my cover is heavy. I would not even consider a 7' cutter for my L6060.

I use a Woods BB840X 7' cutter on my M9960 and it too is sometimes all it wants in the spring when in EPTO.

I do try to mow as fast as conditions permit and my mowers cut well.

I would consider nothing more than a 6' cutter for the 4800 unless the mower is light, the ground is relatively level, you plan to mow light cover and mow it often and not too quickly.

/ Deciding between L series & MX #16  
I use a MX in very tight woods regularly and happily. If you are planning a lot of loader work I'd think an HST would be a no-brainer.

Remember, all of the MX line have the exact same loader and 3pt capacities/capabilities. A 7ft mower is fine behind any of them (this is coming from someone with ACTUAL experience with a 7Ft and light brush, weeds, grass on a MX4800. Remember, you can over stress almost any mower/tractor combo trying to be unreasonable).

I had to put a total of 2700lbs of ballast on my MX4800 (with loader and R4 tires) before I started to regularly run out of hoarsepower before traction. Prior to that I was always traction-limited and HP never mattered. If it was someone else's money I might have gone with a turbo charged model but it wasn't and I have 500hrs of COMPLETELY trouble-free operation.

The MX line has a beefier and larger front "axel/tire" assembly than the L series. It also has a Cat 1/2 3pth so you can put cat2 implement behind it. Get it ballasted appropriately (the loader capacity is flat-out dangerous without significant rear ballast) and they are a true no-frills bulitproof workhorse.
:2cents:

/ Deciding between L series & MX #17  
I would consider nothing more than a 6' cutter for the 4800 unless the mower is light, the ground is relatively level, you plan to mow light cover and mow it often and not too quickly. sdt

totally agree that 6' mower is a better fit for mx series. imho if i needed to jump up from a 6' rotary, my choice would be a twin spindle 8' model w/a larger M series tractor to drive it anyway, stick w/a solid duty 6' mower & the mx will work just fine

/ Deciding between L series & MX #18  
Also, if you go with the MX4800, pay to upgrade to the telescoping 3pt sway arms. It's worth it. :2cents:

/ Deciding between L series & MX #19  
Just get the MX5800 pay once cry once:)

/ Deciding between L series & MX #20  
Look at some of the Grand L series, heavier loaders and front axles then the Economy L series.

David