Comparison Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #41  
I don't know why people assume a four-cylinder would be smoother than a three-cylinder, but a lot of people do -- perhaps it's the "more is better" attitude, or just the intuitive thought that more pistons and firing pulses are smoother. But an inline-four has some inherent balance problems -- for one, pistons move in pairs. This leads to a secondary imbalance that can be quite bad. Auto manufacturers deal with this on larger inline-fours by installing balance shafts, which add counter-rotating weights to counteract the reciprocating mass.

There's some information you can read here:

Engine balance - Wikipedia

Couple snips:

A lot of that is engineering gibberish and not as cleanly written as I'd like, but frankly I'm an engineer and I'd probably do a worse job if I tried to explain it! I don't want to hijack the OP's thread further, but there is a ton of information on the internet if anyone wants to read further. Bottom line to me is that there are definite reasons to choose certain engine configurations, but nobody should conclude that a four-cylinder tractor engine is smoother or more desirable than a three-cylinder, all else equal. It's mainly size/packaging constraints that drive us into fours as tractor size and HP goes up, not because they are better engines.

Anyone who has run the very common B3200/L3200 four/three engines of the same displacement and HP has discovered this first hand. The difference is so significant, it's hard to miss. It's the kind of thing that is so much easier to experience/realize in person than to explain. Sort of a "seat of the pants" engineering analysis.

I got ya, in my mind two up and two down pistons would be a better counter balance than two down and one up but if I understood that right 3 cylinder don't fire that way, my claim was based on a even number of pistons over just having more pistons, I thought a 2 cylinder would be smoother than a 3 and a 4 equally as smooth as a 2 just more displacement. So I guess now is a good time to exit while I'm behind

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #42  
Another thing about the snowblowers. Even though the basic L series doesn't have a mid PTO, there are kits to run a snowblower on the front of just about any tractor. Basically you mount the blower on a frame up front and run a long PTO shaft under the tractor to a gear box in the back. The box transfers power from the rear PTO. I don't know where to buy one, or how much they cost, but they're out there.

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #43  
I got ya, in my mind two up and two down pistons would be a better counter balance than two down and one up but if I understood that right 3 cylinder don't fire that way, my claim was based on a even number of pistons over just having more pistons, I thought a 2 cylinder would be smoother than a 3 and a 4 equally as smooth as a 2 just more displacement. So I guess now is a good time to exit while I'm behind

Balance seems a fascinating subject....and it's one I've never really looked into in depth. I do know that we had a 3 cylinder car for ten or 15 years back in the 60s & 70s.... & and a 3 cylinder 33 hp tractor for about 20 years - and both were noticibly smoother than 1,2, or 4. But that being the case, why wouldn't a six cylinder be even smoother yet? Beats me, but in my experience they are not. The 3 cylinder machines we had were smoother running at all speeds.
rScotty

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #45  
Seriously??? Top of the line, Japanesy... Vietnam makes oxen to pull things, pretty sure...

Yeah Kubota is basically equivalent to Toyota in terms of quality and refinement.

Now now... they make some really nice Colombia and LL Bean outwear in Vietnam. (0:

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #46  
Seriously??? Top of the line, Japanesy... Vietnam makes oxen to pull things, pretty sure...

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha this was sooooo funny, that made my day.

Bahahahahahahahaha

Just, just

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #47  
Tractors and breast are always better if they are bigger. Most buy just what they need then find out that the tractor is a valuable tool, and use it for more things, then find out they bought too small, and then need to buy again. Buying bigger now saves you a lot of headaches later true the people here that are telling you that because we were ll you at one time, and we all learned the hard way.

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #48  
Bahahahahahahahahahahaha this was sooooo funny, that made my day.

Bahahahahahahahaha

Just, just

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you seemed like you needed a little education. So... Japan = Kubota, and Vietnam = Oxen.

/ Decision time. L4701/L3901/L4060/L3560/B3350 #50  
Tractors and breast are always better if they are bigger. Most buy just what they need then find out that the tractor is a valuable tool, and use it for more things, then find out they bought too small, and then need to buy again. Buying bigger now saves you a lot of headaches later true the people here that are telling you that because we were ll you at one time, and we all learned the hard way.

Gravity is much kinder to massive tractors