Decision Time -- X749

/ Decision Time -- X749 #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
I'm down to the "last minute, second guessing mode":D!

I'm Looking at the X749 with a 62X deck and material collection system, either the 3 bag or the MC519 cart, any last minute words of caution or encouragement??

/ Decision Time -- X749 #2  
I'm sure you have a reason other than cost to pick an x749 over the 2305, since the cost difference isn't much... Care to share what it is?

/ Decision Time -- X749 #3  
turbo36 said:
I'm down to the "last minute, second guessing mode":D!

I'm Looking at the X749 with a 62X deck and material collection system, either the 3 bag or the MC519 cart, any last minute words of caution or encouragement??

My only concern would be that the 749s 4WD system is brand new, so any problems may not have surfaced yet. Other than that, it's a top of the line machine - if you've got the bux, go for it!

Regarding the collection system (either of those would be powerflow setups, right?) just be aware that it's really, really wide! I have a powerflow / MC519 rig on my 60" deck, and there's no question of fitting it into the shed with the powerflow on - just not going to happen. If you have a place to back up and dump, the 519 makes sense, otherwise the 3-bag may be a bit more maneuverable.

Tim

/ Decision Time -- X749 #4  
I really like mowing with my x495. The model you are getting has got to be even better. I sure would like one myself, but my budget is maxed out now. JC

/ Decision Time -- X749
VABlue said:
I'm sure you have a reason other than cost to pick an x749 over the 2305, since the cost difference isn't much... Care to share what it is?

When I compare the side hill stability of my 455AWS to the 2305 the 455 has a lot less "pucker factor", also, for straight mowing it is much faster. The 4wd is needed for snow blowing my steep drive and when mowing the wet grass.

/ Decision Time -- X749 #6  
I think the 749 is an amazing machine, and would love one for mowing my yard. I've had Simplicity garden tractors with both the rear bagger (currently) and a cart similar to the 519 system. I ended up pulling a lot of grass clippings, and leaves from my cart, but it didn't dump as steeply as the 519 does. One member (at least) here has added hydraulic dump to his 519, and can actually use it to push the piles of leaves, etc. back as he dumps. I also sometimes use grass clippings for mulch in my gardens, and for that, the bagger works better since you can carry the mulch where you want, and dump it in a more controlled manner. For fall leaves, I preferred the cart, but for mowing I prefer the bagger. Both have their uses, and advantages.

On another note, I keep hearing about the 2305, and stability. I can't for the life of me figure out why the 2305 (without loader) would be less stable than either the X7xx series, or the 2x20 series. It is the same width, has two more inches of wheelbase than the x7xx, and is heavier?? :confused: :confused: Is the center of gravity that much higher??

/ Decision Time -- X749 #7  
I like the bag set-up. If you plan on bagging most of the time, at least you can take the bags and carry them up your pile if you need to. Once you use a cart-dumper, I think you may run out of room in a short time. I also keep a short, stiff wire brush with me when i dump. I brush off the hopper exhaust screen to keep the airflow goin' good. The bagger is 14 bushel, which is huge ! I also have the 62X deck, which I run gatormagnum blades. I have tried the Deere 3-in-one and the Deere High-lift blades, but the gators seem to cut the clippings up finer. I'm waiting to pull the deck out of storage to install the leaf-bagging anti-blowout kit for the underside. Sorry to meander a little off topic, but I think you'll love the X749, and find it a very capapble, comfortable machine. You only live once you know. Don't spend your years wishing you should have bought one when you know you want one bad.

/ Decision Time -- X749 #8  
Turbo, Have you considered the 60" 7 Iron deck instead of the 62" deck? I haven't checked but I trust its available for the 749. I have the 62C on my X595. While it does a pretty nice job of cutting and is easy to take on an off grass "sludge" seems to acccumulate more on this deck. THe 60" 7 Iron deck is a much more open design with fewer rivet heads, baffles, etc to stop the discharge of the clippings. I had basically the same deck on my 4300 compact utitlity tractor and was amazed at the minimual build up of debris on the underside. It also did a very nice job of cutting.

The 60" is a drive over, or should I say back over design, which some people may not like. The 60" is a few hundred more but when I replace my X595 it will be with this deck

/ Decision Time -- X749 #9  
Turbo, did you compare pucker of the x749 to the 455? Can't speak about either since I don't have them. I can say, though, that I've had my 2305 up, down, and sideways on hills I shouldn't have had it on. The seat belt was pulled tight, though!

Not arguing, just trying to understand the justification I couldn't come up with when making my decision last year. Everyone has their reasons for purchasing one over all the others, and they are all valid (especially - 'I want it'). Was just curious... It'll be a grass cutting beast for you, that much I do know! Have fun with it...

/ Decision Time -- X749 #10  
You will love it on the hill sides. Mine seems to hug them quite well :D

Attachments

• HEL_7546 (Small).jpg
    HEL_7546 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 722