Decision Time -- X749

/ Decision Time -- X749
VABlue said:
Turbo, did you compare pucker of the x749 to the 455? Can't speak about either since I don't have them. I can say, though, that I've had my 2305 up, down, and sideways on hills I shouldn't have had it on. The seat belt was pulled tight, though!

Not arguing, just trying to understand the justification I couldn't come up with when making my decision last year. Everyone has their reasons for purchasing one over all the others, and they are all valid (especially - 'I want it'). Was just curious... It'll be a grass cutting beast for you, that much I do know! Have fun with it...

I put the 2305 and the 455 next to each other on the same side hill and rocked them to see if I could lift a rear wheel. The 2305 was pretty easy to get the wheel to lift when compared to the 455 so it confirms the pucker factor I experience when driving them.
I think the 455 has a lower center of gravity , also the AWS tends to conform to the hill better when turning so the tractor doesn't "three point" this is similar to the articulating tractors.

/ Decision Time -- X749
TCowner said:
Turbo, Have you considered the 60" 7 Iron deck instead of the 62" deck? I haven't checked but I trust its available for the 749. I have the 62C on my X595. While it does a pretty nice job of cutting and is easy to take on an off grass "sludge" seems to acccumulate more on this deck. THe 60" 7 Iron deck is a much more open design with fewer rivet heads, baffles, etc to stop the discharge of the clippings. I had basically the same deck on my 4300 compact utitlity tractor and was amazed at the minimual build up of debris on the underside. It also did a very nice job of cutting.

The 60" is a drive over, or should I say back over design, which some people may not like. The 60" is a few hundred more but when I replace my X595 it will be with this deck

The 60" deck isn't listed as an option for the 749, I saw it on a 2520 and it sure looked good.

/ Decision Time -- X749
skidoo said:
You will love it on the hill sides. Mine seems to hug them quite well :D

WOW! You must be running those new "suction cup" tires Deere just came out with.;)

/ Decision Time -- X749 #14  
turbo36 said:
The 60" deck isn't listed as an option for the 749, I saw it on a 2520 and it sure looked good.

Its an option on the JD site for the x720 and x740. i could not see why it would not be for the x749....

Blade tip speed is MUCH better on the 7 iron deck....

/ Decision Time -- X749 #15  
According to the brochure you cannot put the 60 on the 729 or 749.

/ Decision Time -- X749 #18  
VABlue said:
1*Turbo, did you compare pucker of the x749 to the 455? Can't speak about either since I don't have them.
2*I can say, though, that I've had my 2305 up, down, and sideways on hills I shouldn't have had it on.
1* The pucker factor is about the same on my CC GT 2554 and my BX1500 which is less than the pucker factor of my BX23.
2*Seeing as how the BX23 and the JD 2305 are comparable tractors I'd say the 2305 pucker factor is closer to a bx23 than it is to a CC gt2554 Kubota BX1500 or jd x455 and x749.

/ Decision Time -- X749 #19  
ChuckinNH said:
I think the 749 is an amazing machine, and would love one for mowing my yard. I've had Simplicity garden tractors with both the rear bagger (currently) and a cart similar to the 519 system. I ended up pulling a lot of grass clippings, and leaves from my cart, but it didn't dump as steeply as the 519 does. One member (at least) here has added hydraulic dump to his 519, and can actually use it to push the piles of leaves, etc. back as he dumps. I also sometimes use grass clippings for mulch in my gardens, and for that, the bagger works better since you can carry the mulch where you want, and dump it in a more controlled manner. For fall leaves, I preferred the cart, but for mowing I prefer the bagger. Both have their uses, and advantages.

On another note, I keep hearing about the 2305, and stability. I can't for the life of me figure out why the 2305 (without loader) would be less stable than either the X7xx series, or the 2x20 series. It is the same width, has two more inches of wheelbase than the x7xx, and is heavier?? :confused: :confused: Is the center of gravity that much higher??
I can't expaint it to you but I can take my CC gt2554 AND bx1500 places i won't take the BX23 on because of the difference in pucker factor.
I'd think the same would apply between the 2305 and a x700 series.

/ Decision Time -- X749 #20  
turbo36 said:
When I compare the side hill stability of my 455AWS to the 2305 the 455 has a lot less "pucker factor", also, for straight mowing it is much faster. The 4wd is needed for snow blowing my steep drive and when mowing the wet grass.
The bigger the tractor the greater the pucker factor is how it's always felt to me.