deck dropping

/ deck dropping #1  

highboy1975

Silver Member
my deck on my 3185 keeps slowly sropping. about 1/2 inch every 45 min. ive been keeping an eye on it to keep it from scalping the grass, but this is aggravating. would this most likely be the center lift mechanism causing this? ive priced them at 275 which is pretty steep. could i possibly have this part rebuilt so the deck stays where i put it? or am i off-base?

/ deck dropping #2  
I've owned a few different 3000's, perhaps it's just the hydraulics? I recall the decks typically not staying up...hydraulic creep?

/ deck dropping
i guess that could be it, but it just doesnt seem acceptable for the deck to just drop like that. the thing does weigh almost 400lbs according to cub, guess i need to drop the wheels and rollers down since its supposed to be ground engaging anyway.

/ deck dropping #4  
My 3000 (3235) is usually in "ground following mode" with the wheels on the ground but on the rare occasion when my grass is very long and/or wet and I want to make a high cut, the tractor has an adjustment knob that is rotated through various number settings. The knob only allows the deck to drop to the setting point and doesn't rely on the hydraulics not bleeding down.

Bob B.

/ deck dropping
thats how mine is, but the adjuster is a little froze and ive been letting it float since i got it. havent felt like playing with it. guess ill have to do that. how do you like the deck on the ground? i was afraid of beating the snot out of the casters on the front.

/ deck dropping #6  
I'm just finishing the sixth season mowing with deck on the ground. The front wheels are fine but I did lose the front roller and shaft and had to replace one rear outer roller which broke. I never did find the front roller, which is hard to believe. Possibly when my rear yard was VERY wet and muddy I placed plywood on the ground at the end of the ramp from my barn so I wouldn't get stuck. I gave it a running start down the ramp and the front of the deck caught on the plywood, pushing it into the soft ground and wedging under the deck. I suspect that the roller may be buried somewhere near the ramp.

Bob B.