Deck replacement

/ Deck replacement #21  
I don't ever want to paint a deck board ever again. Front deck is FRP grating with tile over that and the back deck is the same grating but concrete pavers on top.

/ Deck replacement #22  
I have two small - 10x16 - decks. They were built in '82 along with the house. They are weathered and checked in some areas. None of the boards have been replaced and I put "something" on them about every five years or so.

They are still smooth enough for bare feet. Pretty good service. I compare the decks to how I might look - 40 years lying on my back thru summer and winter weather.

/ Deck replacement
Think I'm about settled on cedar or redwood for the rail tops and keep the roof rubber/gutter underneath for drainage. No Trex.

If I can convince my wife and/or get a builder who's done it, might go with aluminum deck and remove the roof rubber drainage but use or relocate gutter underneath. Aluminum is cooler to touch and requires less maintenance.

Seeing another builder next week. Trex guy's price was sky high and decided that I do not want it.

/ Deck replacement #24  
While we used trex for the decking, their rails were not appealing. The redwood we used looks a lot better though it needs periodic re-staining, especially where it gets a lot of sun.

/ Deck replacement #25  
I used an aluminum rail system. Like it alot, and super easy to install. But definitely not inexpensive. Front rails are 4 years old still look like new. Powdercoated.

the aluminum decking i used installed just like wood or trex decking, using hidden fasteners and powder coated screws. The material cut just like wood….but hearing protection is a must. The framer that helped said it installed easier than trex, but as i have never installed trex, ill have to take his word for it.

/ Deck replacement
I had an IPE (Brazilian ironwood) deck installed over PT SYP framing about 7 years ago. No treatment (stain, etc.) except end grain sealer at installation. It has weathered to a pleasing (to me) grey patina; pressure washed last year, patina quickly returned. IPE is relatively expensive and difficult to work, cobalt to pre-drill for SS fasteners, carbide to cut. It has outlasted a friend's "mahogany" deck and is more stable and cooler underfoot than the plastic composite decks of other friends.
Just had a builder come by and suggested this. Looked at a this old house web site on it. Less $ than Al decking. Will see what they propose. Said they were booked up but our “small” job could be worked in.

/ Deck replacement #27  
I've got a small jetty `dock` on the river in front of my house, and have just rebuilt it using recycled `plastic`. The boards and posts come in different sizes, in black or brown and are a sort of melted plastic reinforced with a aluminum wool. They work out about twice the price of timber, but with a fair wind should last many years.

/ Deck replacement #28  
I don't ever want to paint a deck board ever again. Front deck is FRP grating with tile over that and the back deck is the same grating but concrete pavers on top.
what is your grating setting on? is it normal wood frame? I'd love to hear more about this.

/ Deck replacement #29  
You can put the grating on wood. The idea came from a contractor who did. https://www.jlconline.com/deck-builder/tiling-a-deck_o I have a 10 x 16 deck off the shop that I have some grate over wood joists. Just bare grate. Needs really to be finished.

Both of mine at the house are on metal and are ~ 3' off the ground. The front is framed with 1/2" flat bar with the same cross supports. I got so much of this stuff for cheap that I built the landing plus a small bridge out of it etc. This one is tiled.

We did a lot of hardscaping as well in the back and the wife wanted this one out of the same pavers. With the FRP and pavers, 4" channel boxed in the stairs real nice so I bought some used channel pallet rack to frame and cross support the grate. It turned out real nice. The grating came from a dock builder who sells the drops for cheap. No rot no more.