Deckover vs standard equipment trailer

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Thinking about upgrading trailer & looking at options. What are pros & cons of a deckover vs a standard equipment trailer with the fenders? I don't know enough about them, but just looking online it seems the biggest advantage is the wider platform. The only disadvantage I see is longer ramp needed or steeper ramp to climb loading.

Looks like load would ride higher so does that effect handling? Are there other reasons not to choose a deckover vs a typical?

Looking at 10k lbs GVW trailer. Primarily I haul ~900 gal water in IBC totes & occasionally my tractor with an F250. Otherwise it's just basic utility stuff like SxS or pick up stuff from Lowe's, etc.

Edit to add: 3 IBC totes with water is a crappy load since the water sloshes - no way to fill them 100% since they have the room for headspace above the fill.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #2  
I have a PJ Deckover 22 ft tilt bed trailer and it's the most versatile trailer I have ever owned. Great for loading pallets or bundles of lumber with forklift as no fenders in the way. Width of tractor or vehicle doesn't matter, and really nice for round bales of hay. The slightly higher center of gravity has not been a problem for me even with 20,000 lbs of hay strapped to it. Bumper pull with F-350 6.2 gas and no sway at all.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #3  
I would look at your greatest weight needs and how you intend on using it. Sounds to me like you just need an equipment trailer, or if you just want to spend the money go ahead and get a goose neck and you wont be limited on hauling ever.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #4  
My car hauler deck looses nothing in width to the fenders and it is lower to the ground than a deck over. IMG_1135.JPG

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer
My car hauler deck looses nothing in width to the fenders and it is lower to the ground than a deck over.View attachment 657558

That's so cruel....that poor little Chevy.... :laughing:

How does that not loose width? wouldn't a deckover version of that be current width + of the fenders?

I did look at the car hauler ones too, but the ones at local place (only checked website from where I got my current one so far) the car haulers were 2 x 3500 lbs axles, which is what I have now, just different style. They had a double car hauler with heavier axles, but it was real long & axles set very far back - looked like it would be good for 2 autos, not so good for anything else. But I do like the lower deck and what you have pictured would work for me if heavy enough axles. Just seems the deckover would be more versatile, but having never owned one, there might also be a big downside I'm unaware of.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #6  
My car hauler deck looses nothing in width to the fenders and it is lower to the ground than a deck over.View attachment 657558

Not many deckovers with 82 inch wide decks. You are giving up 14 or 20 inches in deck width as compared to 99% of the deckovers in service.

As far as I am concerned deckovers ARE the standard.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #7  
If I was primarily hauling equipment/mowers or cars, I'd get an equipment trailer. Otherwise I think a deckover with a 2-3' dovetail would be about perfect.

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #8  
My PJ deck is 96 inches wide and a true 22 ft of flat loading due to tilt function. Heavy pallets can be centered over the two 7000 lb axles without fenders interfering with loading. I've had bobcat, car trailer and fendered equipment trailers in the past, would never trade my deckover:)

/ Deckover vs standard equipment trailer #10  
I've had my equipment trailer, (a 20' metal bed) for three years. With the NX there is less then four to six inches on each side. If anyone has depth perception problems like I do, it sucks!
Especially when loading with cutter or blade.

I would go with a deck over next time, 14k with G rated tires.
Not getting younger and crawling around the rails to chain down the corners bites.

Now that land is cleared may not need to haul huge amounts of tree limbs.
Looking at HF chipper to mulch storm felled limbs.

Anyway, yeah deck over with a 2/3 foot dove tail would seem to be the handy way to go.
Height issue with CG, well maybe but one learns and makes driving adjustments pretty quickly.

Let us know which one we helped you spend you money on....:D