Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm adding a Warn M8000 electric winch to my Isuzu NPR stakebed (my tractor hauler)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/190454-got-tractor-hauler-finally.html

I've been looking at gel cell 12V 100AH batteries like this one from Ritar

RA12-100G - 12volt 100a/h - Sealed lead acid battery for UPS and Telecom, RITAR RA12-100G RA12100G - xpressBatteries.com

Anyone have experience with Ritar batteries? Comment?
Suggested alternatives (I've looked at Optima batteries-pricy but a possible candidate if nothing else shows up)?

Thanks in advance

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #2  
All my Jeep buddies use Optima's.

My BIL had the power cable to his winch rub thru; he had a grommet where it passed thru the grill. He did not notice it wore thru the cable shield and grommet.

He was on Rubicon when sparks and smoke came from the front of the Jeep. Major discharge before they could get the batteries disconnected. Deader than a door nail. Charged it when he got back home, and got four more years out of it(including use with the winch).

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #3  
The 100aH does not seem like enough to run the winch. I would call Warn and inquire. How are you recharging. Currently using a 10,000 Warn on trailer and without being recharged maybe 2 good pulls. Maybe I am wrong comparing but the battery I am using is rated at 1000 cca,s.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch
The 100aH does not seem like enough to run the winch. I would call Warn and inquire. How are you recharging. Currently using a 10,000 Warn on trailer and without being recharged maybe 2 good pulls. Maybe I am wrong comparing but the battery I am using is rated at 1000 cca,s.

I going by Warn's current draw spec (435 amps at 8000 lb pull). A 100 AH deep cycle battery should give something like 10-12 minutes pull at this draw. I plan to use this winch to pull my 2000-4000 lb parade tractors onto my Isuzu stakebed truck when the tractor engine craps out (which happens occasionally with 50-60 year old equipment).

Warn also recommends a 665 CCA battery (minimum) for this winch. But if I understand this spec correctly, it refers to the situation where the winch operates off the vehicle's start battery--the battery I'm looking for will be dedicated to the winch-- I won't be operating that Warn winch off the Isuzu's battery. Start batteries typically are sized by CCA; deep cycle batteries are sized by amp-hours.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #5  
The UPS battery would not last long at all.

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #6  
One thing to take into consideration is that you are only going to have maybe the first layer of cable off, when using on a 16 ft trailer. That makes the 8k winch more like a 4 K winch. I use a 4.5 K winch and snatch block. My winch only has 50 ft cable so I am down closer to the drum where he winch is more efficient. If you are going to use the 8K winch, loose 1/2 the cable and use a snatch block. This will also half the speed and give you more control. (Then you can make up an extension cable with the piece you cut from the winch for longer pulls)

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #8  
I have a 3,500# winch on my 18' car hauler trailer. I used to run it off a Group 24 Marine battery but now just use my little Yellow Jump Pack. Works fine. I have pulled tons of cars and trucks as big as a 1/2 ton GM and a Suburban on it using this setup. I think its 400 amp jump pack and my guess is I could get 5 pulls if needed but have never used it more than once. Reason I go this way is my winch may only get used 2 times a year.

If it were me I would just put a Deep Cycle Marine Battery then have jumper cables on hand to run to the trucks battery for extra pulling power if needed. Just make sure the truck is running. I think on your NPR the battery is mounted close to the bed so no big deal.

The real issue is going to be the angle of the ramp. My 18' car hauler is a low boy with 14" deck to ground height and 5' ramps so my pull angle is very low. Yours will be extreme compared to mine. You will also need to have a roller incorporated to the bed to prevent cable fray like many GN deck over trailers have.

Chris

I have a 3,500# winch on my 18' car hauler trailer. I used to run it off a Group 24 Marine battery but now just use my little Yellow Jump Pack. Works fine. I have pulled tons of cars and trucks as big as a 1/2 ton GM and a Suburban on it using this setup. I think its 400 amp jump pack and my guess is I could get 5 pulls if needed but have never used it more than once. Reason I go this way is my winch may only get used 2 times a year.

If it were me I would just put a Deep Cycle Marine Battery then have jumper cables on hand to run to the trucks battery for extra pulling power if needed. Just make sure the truck is running. I think on your NPR the battery is mounted close to the bed so no big deal.

The real issue is going to be the angle of the ramp. My 18' car hauler is a low boy with 14" deck to ground height and 5' ramps so my pull angle is very low. Yours will be extreme compared to mine. You will also need to have a roller incorporated to the bed to prevent cable fray like many GN deck over trailers have.

Chris

Thanks for the info. You're right about the ramp. I'm fabricating a roller now that slips into two of the adjacent stake pockets at the rear of the stakebed.

My preference is two use two deep cycle batteries in parallel to run the winch and not bother hooking up to the truck battery (although as you say, it's no big deal to do that since the truck battery is only about 5-ft away from the winch box).

/ Deep cycle battery for an 8Klb winch #10  
Thanks for the info. You're right about the ramp. I'm fabricating a roller now that slips into two of the adjacent stake pockets at the rear of the stakebed.

My preference is two use two deep cycle batteries in parallel to run the winch and not bother hooking up to the truck battery (although as you say, it's no big deal to do that since the truck battery is only about 5-ft away from the winch box).

You can do it both ways but remember, 2 batteries equals twice the problems. A $10 set of jumper cables you already probably own is very simple for a limited use winch like you are planning. It can also be uses to start a dead tractor or the truck itself off the winches battery if needed. How will you keep the winch battery charged so they are ready when you need it?

They make battery isolators.

East Penn 2-battery System Battery Isolators - JCWhitney

Northern Industrial Battery Isolator — 120 Amp, Model# B-120A1B2E | Energy Storage Batteries | Northern Tool + Equipment

It will allow it to charge off the trucks electrical system when running but not back feed to the motor for starting. I think they are about $45. Much like charging the battery on a trailer for the electric brakes. Just make sure its relay controlled and only powered when the truck is running or it may drain the trucks starting battery and leave you stranded.

Chris

Attachments

• 3356.jpg
    3356.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,363