Deep frying

/ Deep frying #21  
Lots of em...it's the first two years of college where English and composition are paramount...
I employ nothing but math majors and none of them can spell. None of them, but they are good with grammar. It's so bad, they have to give all their write ups to a secretary so she can write coherent things.

Our brains are not wired to spell...

/ Deep frying #23  
I employ nothing but math majors and none of them can spell. None of them, but they are good with grammar. It's so bad, they have to give all their write ups to a secretary so she can write coherent things.

Our brains are not wired to spell...
My issue is/was not with spelling or grammar really...it's with using the correct homophone...it should be like learning to ride a bicycle...

Granted...even those that really know the difference make typos and malaprops...

/ Deep frying #24  
You were just humble bragging on here a week ago how stacked your asset collection is...to now complaining about it's too expensive to eat healthy.

Weird times...
Yah I 'm a cheap son of a *****. funny isn't it? You'd think I'd be throwing money out the window of my Gulfstream eh?
Phony maybe but Snobdds would never call you one of those since he doesn't even know your parents.

/ Deep frying #25  
My issue is/was not with spelling or grammar really...it's with using the correct homophone...it should be like learning to ride a bicycle...

Granted...even those that really know the difference make typos and malaprops...
Is using the correct homophone like using the correct pronoun?
Asking for a friend...

/ Deep frying #26  
Hanging around Gator too much... :ROFLMAO:
As one of these professors that speak Latin might say "qui *** canibus cocumbunt *** pulicibus surgent".

/ Deep frying #27  
Language may be the single greatest defining element of our culture. America English is easily the most flexible and able language on the planet seconded only by Cantonese. Destroying the language is something that really chaps my ass. Unless one merits sympathy, due to mental disability, one shouldn't have any trouble mastering one's native tongue, one's language.

What else besides sloth and indolence might be the reason for failure to master one's native tongue?

Take for example:
If you are putting your PTO shaft on your tractor and some guy tells you that you have neglected to engage the spline lock. Say for this example, you never have because you didn't know about the lock.
Do you become angry with that guy for lording it over you and daring to tell you something you didn't know?

Why then become angry when your grammar, spelling, syntax, or word usage is corrected?

But let's go back and look at the two paragraphs that seem to have enraged you so:
I was talking about the habit of lexicographers stooping to the lowest depths of the gutter they can find.
I was bitching up a storm about the Lexicographers who for decades basked in the patina of authoritative expert status as every single elementary school teacher instructed us to "look it up." Thus imparting onto our forming minds the FALSE notion that the dictionary is an authority on anything.
It is not it is the work of people who have no authority but of late have developed a "Woke" penchant for digging up the worse bastardizations of the language they can find and incorporating them into their work.

And you thought I was talking about you. Man, you missed that one by a country mile.
The only thing that irritates me is the proliferation of acronyms. Refusal to spell out words is simply laziness. People speaking a street patois often ads color and vitality to discourse that would be otherwise stuffy and boring.

/ Deep frying #28  
Is using the correct homophone like using the correct pronoun?
Asking for a friend...
One of my pet peeves is people who use the wrong pronunciation of homographs. Audio book narrators sometimes do that. Secreted and secreted are particularly irritating. No, you do not hide something with a glandular squirt.