Deep snow techniques?

/ Deep snow techniques? #52  
For the last 10 years I have maintained 2000' of gravel road with too small of tractor. Last month we got 29" of snow in one storm. Here are the tricks I use: If you can drive straight down the road I will push the show straight ahead with my loader bucket about 8" above the ground, while keeping my rear blade about 4" above the ground. I occassionally have to do a wing off the road to push the snow when it gets too hard to push. This will clear a path to work from. Then I will do another path in the same fashion till I have some room to work. To clear larger areas (parking pads, etc...) I will back up and push the snow with the back side of my blade. Slow, but it works well. You have to take a lot of passes to back blade, but this technique works very well with small lightweight tractors. Oh, and the 29" took me 5 hours to clear that 2000' road.

I pushed that same snow with my x749 and rear blade. Pretty large event in Alto and Ruidoso with Bonito area having the highest in the state at over 36 inches.
Still that was powder and easy to work with compared to the northeast with wet snow, much heavier and harder to push imo.

/ Deep snow techniques? #53  
I used a 6' blower for the East Coast storm of 30-35". Fast and no snow banks to contend with. I got some large skids designed for a giant blower and bolted them on the outer plate keeping the blower 1/2" off the pavement. Ran the thing right over the grass to find driveway edges with zero turf or pavement damage.
Anyway... Since the topic is FELs, I cleaned up with the bucket and a clamp on "Ratchet Rake Snow Edge" that was awesome. Protects paved surface, used down pressure, float, and also can load and dump snow with it on. Very heavy duty, and a replacement 2.5" thick plastic edge is only like $65.00

/ Deep snow techniques? #54  
I used a 6' blower for the East Coast storm of 30-35". Fast and no snow banks to contend with. I got some large skids designed for a giant blower and bolted them on the outer plate keeping the blower 1/2" off the pavement. Ran the thing right over the grass to find driveway edges with zero turf or pavement damage.
Anyway... Since the topic is FELs, I cleaned up with the bucket and a clamp on "Ratchet Rake Snow Edge" that was awesome. Protects paved surface, used down pressure, float, and also can load and dump snow with it on. Very heavy duty, and a replacement 2.5" thick plastic edge is only like $65.00

/ Deep snow techniques? #55  
I couldn't really push the snow, I had to scoop it up, back up a little drive off to the side a little and dump. In the deeper drifts I would have to back up further maybe for a place to dump.
That was my approach to tackling the ~30" accumulations in 2010 and 2016. A blower would have been easier (except for blowback on my open station L3710), but the infrequency of such events makes it hard to justify the expense and storage (and the challenge is something I enjoy about tractor ownership).

Friday at 3pm:
IMG_0050.png

Saturday at 11am:
IMG_0101.png

Sunday morning:

The driveway is under there somewhere:
IMG_0191.png

Digging down hill:
IMG_0207.png

One scoop at a time:
IMG_0211.png

Success!