Mowing Deere 4710 and LX6 cutter question

/ Deere 4710 and LX6 cutter question #1  

hartmacw

Tractor
2003 Deere 4710
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Deere LX6 cutter from an individual that I intend to use behind my Deere 4710. I cannot easily take my tractor to that place to hook it up and try it out, he says it works great but who knows. I have two questions (well, maybe three depending on how you count)...

1. I understand the drivelines on the LX6 can be shortened for smaller tractors, what should the proper length be for a tractor the size of the 4710 so that I will know if it will fit my tractor, and from where is it measured? I have looked and looked and can't seem to find that information.

2. I also understand the slip clutch can seize up if it hasn't been stored inside or used in a while. Is there a way to tell (by hand, I guess) if the clutch actually slips without hooking it up to the PTO of a tractor and following the instructions in the manual for maintaining it?

Thanks in advance.

/ Deere 4710 and LX6 cutter question #2  
Drive line, you should be fine. Rotary cutter has a lot more fudge room to play with as opposed to a short one like a tiller or flail.

Slip clutch, no way to do it by hand, but should be able to loosen the bolts on it and turn it.
I would just give it a good visual, it is it broken or rusted solid pass, but if it looks ok I would chance to err in your favor. You need to loosen it and slip it anyway and set it back to spec afterward if you buy it.

/ Deere 4710 and LX6 cutter question
Thanks. When I was reading up on it I found directions on deere's site on how to shorten the driveline by up to 4 inches, and I was afraid if that had been done that I might find it too short when I got it home. I am not familiar with this cutter (yet). Will I be able to visually inspect the clutch without removing anything, or is it covered some way or another? thanks again in advance.