Deere 690D and Developing Property

/ Deere 690D and Developing Property #1  

jb1390

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550, Hitachi 120-2
We are looking at purchasing a nearby property with 1200 feet of right of way, that needs driveway installed. After the driveway, we'll be constructing an outbuilding or two, and a home. I am hoping to do a chunk of the work ourselves to potentially save some cost.

Property is wooded, and fairly flat. The driveway has some slope to it. Gravel in the bank seems half decent, hoping that maybe there's enough material on site to save on hauling everything in. House lot will very likely require some blasting, though I haven't dug any holes to verify the depth of bedrock. But we'd like the house on top of one hill, and I suspect the soil isn't super deep there.

I looked at a Deere 690D today, that is for sale locally. Not too many options in CT - there seems to be some ok machines in NH or NY, though I imagine the trucking would cost a little to bring it home.

I ran the machine a little bit, checked for slop on the pins, carriage, etc. Seemed reasonable for the vintage, and 9k hours. The bottom isn't in the greatest shape, one side is worse than the other. I could spin on the spot though, with either track. I don't think for my uses that I'll be putting a ton of hours on it. Owner states he has never had a track jump.

I have a lot of questions at this point - since I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a machine vs just hiring the work out, and if we do buy, whether a machine this size is the right choice. It also brings a risk of an expensive repair. Further, are there other 200 class machines that would be a better buy? Or would it be better to spend the same money on a 8 ton and only hire a 20+ ton for when it's really needed?

This machine started right up, it has been used as a homeowner machine since 2008 with hardly any hours on it in the time he's had it. He said he had the oil all changed 5 years ago - I did read that this particular model of Deere excavator is prone to hydraulic failure unless the right oil is used.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on all the above.

/ Deere 690D and Developing Property
We ended up purchasing a Hitachi 120-2. After talking to some people, we think it's a better fit for our purposes. Easier to repair, easier to move, and can always hire out if there's something that more weight is needed. Which should be rare.

/ Deere 690D and Developing Property #3  
We ended up purchasing a Hitachi 120-2. After talking to some people, we think it's a better fit for our purposes. Easier to repair, easier to move, and can always hire out if there's something that more weight is needed. Which should be rare.

That should be a nice size machine for your use... I would think it should handle almost anything your going to throw at it... The Hitachi's start easy, run smooth & are pretty easy to maintain. We had a Hitachi EX200LC (44,000lb so bigger), on our property for 7yrs or so, that was a great machine to operate. I think you'll be real happy with your decision... god luck with it.