Deere model series

/ Deere model series #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
I'm looking at midrange Deeres. I have read up on the 3050 and it appears to be the perfect tractor, I understand they are super reliable and a good tractor overall.
However, it appears that everyone else knows that too as the 3x50s are really quite expensive. And to be honest, i dont really need the HP, anything over 50 would be fine, the 3050 is ~100HP.

I see alot of 2000 series for much more reasonable prices.

How do 3xxx compare to 2xxx? And 2x50 to 3x50? 2x40 to 2x50? 26xx to 24xx? I dont really understand how Deere have numbered their tractors.
Are xx40s older than xx50s? or are the xx50s larger?

There is a lovely 2650 for sale with a broken crankshaft I have seen. I do like the idea of the cabs with the curved front windows (sg2?)

/ Deere model series #2  
The last 2 numbers are the series numbers( 30, 40, 50, 55).

We never had anything smaller than a 4040 size/series.

So a 2840 is smaller and older than a 3050.

If you where on this side of the pond I would suggest a 4050 over the 3050 but I don't know what you have over there.

/ Deere model series
Thanks Duffster.

To be honest I dont need the power, if it'll spin an 8' cutter I'll be happy. I cant fit any wider cut through the gates.

Do you know what the smallest in the 50 series is? From what I understand the 50 series are holding their value well and are pretty reliable.

/ Deere model series #5  
You can go to tractordata.com and it will give you the information you are looking for. It will sort the tractors by year, horsepower, model, etc.

/ Deere model series #6  
Hi Mith

I can probably give you some advice 'from this side of the pond' so to speak :D

You are on to a good tractor here - the JD 50 series are probably one of the most bulletproof for their era.

I've never seen anything smaller than a 2450 and they are a bit of a rarity, a 2650 or a 2850 is what you need.

Once you get into the 3's you go 6 cylinder, clumsier and heavier on the drink.

You'll be looking at the best part of 6 or 7 grand for a decent 2650 / 2850, then prices vary wildly when you get broken ones. I have seen them for sale for as much as 13K, I wouldn't pay more than 8 for one though.

The 50 series (2x50 and 3x50) mostly had the SG2 cab, which is a good quiet cab, but personally I hate it because you have a blemming post smack bang in the centre of the screen, but at least it tides up all the exhaust pipes inline with it! Other than that it is a comfy cab.

They also came with and Operator Protection Unit cab and an MC Cab but but I can't remember what that stood for. Both lower spec but sans annoying centre windscreen post.

None of them had shuttles on the gearbox, so they are not the best for loader work now a days. Are you after a loader as well?

Otherwise a **** good tractor.

Other options are Massey 300 series (super bombproof, probably best stock tractor ever made, but still 」」」);

Massey 3000 series (good line of tractors really, electronic though - some hate them but they are pretty reliable, just don't buy one with a 32 speed gearbox, they will go bang and its a 4 grand fix.);

Ford 6610 is a good reliable 4 cyl tractor, not too many 」」」, lots around, acceptable cab.

Bit more luxurious, Ford 7740 but electric, can get some niggly issues and more 」」」.

You could go a bit older, in the less than 5K bracket you are into Massey's 500 or 600 series, like a 698 or 590, but these will probably have very badly rusted cabs, otherwise the 600 series not a bad tractor, 500 series (which was late 70's) was a bit of a donkey. Rusty cabs, horrible steering, but not a bad yolk overall.

Then theres a Deere 2130 / 2140, predated the 50 series, not bad tractors but not particularly comfy after a long day either.

If all you want to do is swing a 8ft topper how about a Massey Ferguson 165 or similar. Superb tractors, more reliable than a hammer but they are not cabbed and no synchro on the gearbox etc.

Case IH made some decent tractors, a 785 / 795 or 895 were good, XL cab not a bad place to spend a day. 4220 / 4230 were absolute dogs though, back end made of tin cans. British built as well (Doncaster), typical!

If you want to spend less than 4K a David Brown 1390 or 1390 or the 1490 equivelant of about 70 HP is not a bad tractor, Hydrashift can be iffy, but not a bad tractor fo their money, well ahead of the times.

Hope this is of some help, I have rattled on a bit :rolleyes:

/ Deere model series
Jake, thanks for the reply.

I'm starting to shift more towards the 2450-2850 as you suggest. There are also alot of 2140s about too, they look pretty acceptable, and the prices are alot more attractive. There is a decent looking 2450 4wd for 5k+vat in T&M mag, wrong end of the country though (down your way actually).
Ideally, I'm looking about 5-6k. Its a little tight I know, but i think its do-able. Dont need hi-lift, 30k box is fine, and dont mind 2WD, so I'm looking at the cheaper models. The main reason I'm thinking JD 50 series is I reckon they'll be a future classic. If I keep it in good shape it shouldnt loose much value hopefully. It wont see a whole load of hours.
Other reason for JD is there are alot of dealers around, the other brands you have to hunt for a dealer.
The sg2 seems to be a marmite thing, some people hate it like you, but I quite like the idea of not having a post to one side when you are looking at the front wheels.
Not bothered about a loader, I'm used to not having shuttle anyway. Same with 2/4WD. If I get a 4WD I'd prefer not to get one with a loader already on it because I feel that loaders are quite abusive to mechanical front axles. I'd rather get a decent tractor without a loader, than a marginal one with a loader for the same money.

The Fords and Masseys seem to be alot of money, though to be honest I'm only looking in magazine classifieds at the moment. I'm suspicious of the MF multi power (?, the hydraulic one), know a guy with I think a 590 and he whinges about the multipower. The cab didnt look all that nice either, and rusty as you say (but his has been attached to a sprayer for ever).

A 165 or something is an option, but I would kinda like a few more home comforts, I was origionally thinking a Ford thousand series, but for the money you get a pretty basic machine. I suppose I could even get by with the TEF I have, but a nice cab, sync and a suspension seat would be sweet :D (And an independent PTO, but most stuff over a 135 has that ;)).
I really want a nice waterproof warm cab. It's going to cheshire, what can I say, it rains alot.

What are the differences between the 50 series and the 2140? There is a 1 owner 2140 for 4.8k no vat that looks tidy.

/ Deere model series #8  
The 50 series were just the progression on from the 40 series I think, they got the SG2 cab instead of SG1, everything was slightly updated. 50 series worth more money in years to come probably.

Multipower - yes it is a pain, stupid invention really with no engine breaking in low, avoid if possible but as long as it works it should be fine. Expensive to fix, but can just be welded together making standard gearbox again.

For 5 or 6 I think you should be able to find a tidy two wheel drive. I really would urge you not to just want a Deere, they were dated in comparison in the late 80's early 90's but there second hand values don't seem to reflect this.

Once you have had a shuttle you will not want to go back to not having one :p Trust me on that. But as you say, not absolutely essential.

Yes you can do better than a 590, they were dogs. A rust free 698 or something would be a good choice though, as long as it is not rusty. They had a decentish cab.

But, I really think a nice 16 speed 2WD MF 3060 or similar would be just the ticket :D for sensible moneys.

And I happen to have found a nice example here:
JA Swinbank Vehicles

So for 5K including the VAT after some haggling, you get a tractor with:

A shuttle
A reliable gearbox (don't go near a 32 speed with a long stick)
Probably the best cab for their time (not much worse than many of todays cabs)
Electronic hitch control, which is so much better than manual for so many reasons. You set the height with a dial, then press the button and it will go up, then press the button again and it will return to the same position. So handy when topping and lifting / lowering topper.
Some of them had air con.

Some other options from a quick search:
Auto Trader UK - RENAULT 85-14

Auto Trader UK - JOHN DEERE (JD) 2650 2WD

Auto Trader UK - JOHN DEERE 2650 (E) 1987

Also have a look at these threads, the MF3000 one used to have lots of great info in it but a few members left and had their post's deleted.

Massey 3000 Series - Good Bad or Awful? - British Farming Forum

Which cheap 100hp Twd tractor is best? - British Farming Forum

/ Deere model series #9  
I'm looking at midrange Deeres. I have read up on the 3050 and it appears to be the perfect tractor, I understand they are super reliable and a good tractor overall.
However, it appears that everyone else knows that too as the 3x50s are really quite expensive. And to be honest, i dont really need the HP, anything over 50 would be fine, the 3050 is ~100HP.

I see alot of 2000 series for much more reasonable prices.

How do 3xxx compare to 2xxx? And 2x50 to 3x50? 2x40 to 2x50? 26xx to 24xx? I dont really understand how Deere have numbered their tractors.
Are xx40s older than xx50s? or are the xx50s larger?

There is a lovely 2650 for sale with a broken crankshaft I have seen. I do like the idea of the cabs with the curved front windows (sg2?)

What do you plan on doing with it?

Do you need a cab?

D.

/ Deere model series
Thanks Jake,
this tractor shopping is more of a pain in the butt than truck shopping! There isnt as much choice with trucks, you just choose the length of landrover you want. :D

I'm starting to consider the MF 3000s more. Not too happy about having electronic controls though, low tech is more my style. The BFF thread has a fair bit of praise for them. I've been reading a fair bit on that forum. The chappie on there with the JD 50 series is what got me interested in those to begin with.
The one in your link looks like a very nice tractor for the money.

I've been around the local dealers, they have absolutely nothing in the size I want. Nothing atall. The lots are bare. Just 200HP+ machines. I'm going to have to go on a road trip

Darin, topping some grassland every now and again. Cab would be nice, it rains alot. Dont get many decent sized open station machines around here, 99% in this size have cabs here.