Deere model series

/ Deere model series #11  
Yes, for what they are, you pay about 100 times over the odds for anything over 5 years old. Who else would pay 10K for a 20 year old machine that has spent its life in ***** and has appreciated since it was first bought!?

But anyway, unless you can spend 25K you don't get value for money.

As for electronic controls, the way I look at is:

My neighbour has an old Renault, everything is levers. It feels clunky, the linkages all feel worn out, it feels old basically.

But then, another neighbour has a Massey 3095 in pretty rough condition really, rusty old bucket, much worse than the Renault, but you get in it, close the door, and it still feels pretty new. Switches either work or they don't, no inbetween.

Sure, you can get the odd faulty connection, but normally it doesn't take much to fix, yes a solenoid can burn out, but thats a new solenoid and 2 minutes to bolt on.

But then get the Renault, and the linkage to control the 3PH is a really complex unit. If that gets too worn out, its an off with the cab job and lots of time to fix it.

The Massey linage control is just two valves controlling up and down, a sensor to tell where it is in it's stroke and a computter brain, which hardly ever actually breaks.

Yes, dealers may not look like that much help, but at least if you stick with a Deere John 2650 or a Massey 3070 you can give the dealer a ring and they can advise you over the phone or send a spanner man out if you are stuck. By something obscure, and you are on your own.

Same goes for if you buy it and it blows up the next day, at least with a dealer you have some comeback. I reckon most older tractors of this age are in auctions because something is about to go wrong on them. Leave them to the dealers to worry about...

I am actually about to swap in an older Same which whilst it is an OK tractor, the dealer support lets it down, he is not interested in helping, and the Deere dealer is 3 minutes drive away. When you need the tractor and hay is on the ground, a break down is not good. I'm looking for a JD 6410 or similar, but thats 14K ish.

I'm also on the hunt for a cheap 2WD MF3000 close to me like my neighbours one to help out at hay time ;) I'd like it as a bit of a project. Need to find a 16 speeder though.

/ Deere model series
Oh I'm not digging at the dealers, its not thier fault there arent any second hand machines about here. I'll most likely buy from a dealer, as you say so that if it blows up on the way home I can get them to truck it right back.
With private deals I only pay what I can afford to lose, and I cant afford to lose this kind of money.

I'm not scared of doing some work, there was a 2650 on ebay with a broken crankshaft but it sold a little too high for me.
I might go trek around some dealers further afield if I get the time this week. I think its supposed to rain the rest of the week.

I have seen this which I might phone up about. It does look quite tidy for the money. I've never heard of the dealer though, so I might find out what the word on them is. its no 50 series though....

Thanks again

Last edited:
   / Deere model series #13  
Look at that 6830 in one of the pics. I didn't know they made a 6830...

D.

/ Deere model series #14  
That 1640 looks tidy enough, and it's a proper dealer, not just someone who buys at auctions...

Darin, I drive a 6930, just the slightly bigger brother to that tractor. It replaced the 20 series. I drove a 6810 before and loved that tractor, just pure grunt.

The 6930 I don't like so much, it feels a bit gutless and you can't even turn the flashing beacon on without pressing the touch screen computer :rolleyes:

And it drinks juice like theres no tomorrow, but overall it is a good tractor. Drives a triple butterfly mower cutting 9m at a time no problem :D

/ Deere model series #15  
That 1640 looks tidy enough, and it's a proper dealer, not just someone who buys at auctions...

Darin, I drive a 6930, just the slightly bigger brother to that tractor. It replaced the 20 series. I drove a 6810 before and loved that tractor, just pure grunt.

The 6930 I don't like so much, it feels a bit gutless and you can't even turn the flashing beacon on without pressing the touch screen computer :rolleyes:

And it drinks juice like theres no tomorrow, but overall it is a good tractor. Drives a triple butterfly mower cutting 9m at a time no problem :D

Interesting - all kinds of models we dont see here in the US.

D.