Definitions of CUT, SCUT

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hello all,

I keep seeing references to CUT & SCUT, but I'm not sure I know what they mean? I've kinda surmised that CUT stands for "Compact Utility Tractor", does that mean SCUT stands for "Small Compact Utility Tractor"? Is there a horsepower range between SCUT tractors, CUT tractors and Tractor tractors?
Or does have something to do with the price?

Ray

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #2  
Hi Ray-
Sub-compact....at least for JD :)
Julie

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #3  
Sub Compact in tractors, like in cars refers to smaller models. Though they are certainly very capable it has come to mean those tractors with smaller tires,(usually 26") and limited ground clearance. Typically, they use a fan to cool the hydrostatic transmission instead of a transmission cooler, and they have limited lift height, or other restrictions on their CAT 1 three point hitches. They make excellent mowers as a class, and can do tractor chores while the larger CUT's are perhaps better at tractor chores than mowing though they certainly will do both. Hope this helps.

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. So, I guess my JD2305 is a SCUT and not a CUT as this press release from JD says:

"The new John Deere 2305 compact utility tractor, the entry-level model in the John Deere tractor lineup, is the most powerful tractor in its class with its 24-hp rating."

The only reason, I guess, to be concerned about whether or not a tractor is a CUT or SCUT would be when looking at parts/attachments/etc. and the description would say something like " for use with a CUT"? But then, in all probability it would probably go on to say what tractors it's compatabile with.

So, now I've learned something new.

Ray

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #5  
Unfortunately, implements don't come with anything that usually says what tractors they are suitable with. Many companies have come out with lines of implements that are most suited to these machines. Landpride has it's 05 series I believe, Woods has the "Estate" line, and KK has the XB series attachments that are all suited for your tractor. Have fun with it, and shopping for implements for it! Yes your JD2305 is an excellent SCUT.

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #6  
Probably have to go with CAT 0-3 for stuff that will fit on the back.

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #7  
*Yep it's definately a Sub-Compact ; not a Compact.
You have to move on up another number before you get into the JD Compacts just as you have to step over into the Kubota B Series to get into their Compacts..
raykos said:
1*So, I guess my JD2305 is a SCUT and not a CUT as this press release from JD says:

"The new John Deere 2305 compact utility tractor, the entry-level model in the John Deere tractor lineup, is the most powerful tractor in its class with its 24-hp rating.~~~~~~So, now I've learned something new.
Ray
The only sub compacts available that I know of are
JD
2210 and 2305.
Kubota BX
2230 23 2350 24 & 22.
1500 1830 & 1850.
Massy Ferguson GC
2300 & 2310.
New Holland
TZ models.

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #8  
LBrown59 said:
*..The only sub compacts available that I know of are
JD
2210 and 2305.
Kubota BX
2230 23 2350 24 & 22.
1500 1830 & 1850.
Massy Ferguson GC
2300 & 2310.
New Holland
TZ models.

What's your criteria for classifying the above as subcompacts? What makes a BX2350 a subcompact and a B7510 a compact - tire sizes, weight?

The BX2350 hitch is designed for implements with Cat 1 spacing between the pins (26"), the narrower Cat 1N (20").

Or is it a you know it when you see it type of thing?

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #9  
i thought it had to do with frame sizes

scut were physically "riding lawnmower" size

CUT (class 2) is slightly larger

CUT (class 3) is slightly larger than class 2... the largest of these some consider to be small AG tractors.

a small AG tractor is usually heavyer than the bigest CUT dispite physical size and HP numbers being very simular.

(as im a NH guy) the smallest "AG" tractor that i know of would start in the TN series. TA/TC series being CUT's and TZ's being SCUT

/ Definitions of CUT, SCUT #10  
schmism, do you think you have been reading too many "blue" brochures? Kidding, you have a point there.