Del Morino mower finally broke

/ Del Morino mower finally broke #1  

joecoin

Gold Member
Tractor
Steiner 420 / Grillo 107d
I've been abusing my Del Morino brush mower for 7 years. It finally decided it had enough. Broken weld and broken drive shaft.

Attachments

• 20210704_092804.jpg
    20210704_092804.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210704_092812.jpg
    20210704_092812.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 126
   / Del Morino mower finally broke #2  
That is certainly a catastrophic failure. Was weld faulty or just too much stress ?

/ Del Morino mower finally broke #3  
Brush Mowers do live a tough life. How many hours would you estimate? What were you cutting?

/ Del Morino mower finally broke
Maybe 1000 hours, maybe more. Hard to guess.

I cut everything I can with it. It's been repaired many times for more minor issues.

I believe this issue was caused by me lifting the front end (by pushing down on the handles) when turning.

I had the part welded and have the new shaft, just got to put it back together now.

/ Del Morino mower finally broke #5  
1000 hours of brushhogging! that impressive, both for the machine, and for you. Im not to impressed with my BCS bushhog. It brutal to turn with my BCS 770. I really have to manhandle it.

I'm going to rely on my steering brakes completely now, probably wear them out eventually.

Don't have brakes on your 770?

/ Del Morino mower finally broke #7  
Brakes don’t turn it fast enough, the skids get caught on the brush. A caster would be nice instead of skids.

Brakes don’t turn it fast enough, the skids get caught on the brush. A caster would be nice instead of skids.
I was just thinking about this, but I believe the wheels would get in the way for me. I mow a lot in wooded areas, lots of trees to hit with wheel(s). I run mostly in 1st gear, so speed of turning is not an issue. Maybe a single wheel out front?

I use my Zanon finish mower in tall grass/meadow areas and the wheels are a big help there.