Demountable trailer wheel/tire

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
I have a factory built equipment trailer with dexter 6000lb axles on it. It has the mobile home type wheels on it, but the are real deal, not from a mobile home. The brake flanges are bolted on. I am replacing the two older tires with new 8-14.5 tires meant for equipment trailers, but I want a spare. I am going to keep one of the old tires and find a rim for it. Is there a difference in the rim width from the 7-14.5 vs the 8-14.5? Can I just get a rim from a MH axle and put proper tires on it?

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #2  
I just picked up an old MH rim and can't see any difference between it and my trailer rims. Going to paint it up for a spare as well.

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #3  
I'm not sure if the rims (m/h and utg) have different ratings. There is a 6 and 7 inch rim width though and the way I understand it, rim width plus one for correct tire size. If I'm remembering correctly, then your 8-14.5 tires should be on 7" rims.

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #4  
We had a three axle trailer with 7-14.5 MH tires which we easily replaced with 8-14.5 bias LT tires on the same centerless rims

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #5  
I would use a MH wheel. They are built to handle the weight of a MH. I've only seen MH dealers sell them as a tire/ wheel package and I've never seen a MH with 7-14.5 tires at any of the dealers around here.

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #6  
MH tires are meant to be used seldom, and are kind of a throw-away item. We lost thru explosion, delamination etc tons of MH tires on utility and office trailers. When we went to LT, all problems completely stopped

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #7  
Florida DOT will ticket a trailer with tires marked Mobile Home Use only. And yes, they are pretty easy to spot if you are looking.

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #8  
Rock knocker said:
MH tires are meant to be used seldom, and are kind of a throw-away item. We lost thru explosion, delamination etc tons of MH tires on utility and office trailers. When we went to LT, all problems completely stopped

That's what I was always told. Avoid mh tires and axles.

/ Demountable trailer wheel/tire #10  
Hence the name "Crazy Al"?

We're not talking tires or axles, we are talking about using a steel wheel from a MH dealer as a spare with one of the used non MH tires the OP has. Do you have a reason why the steel wheel would go bad?