Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'?

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #12  
What is dental silver?

What Is Dental Amalgam? Dental amalgam, sometimes called a “silver-filling” due to its appearance, is a mixture of mercury, silver, copper, tin and zinc used to fill cavities in teeth. Dental amalgam is approximately half (50%) mercury, by weight.Sep 24, 2020

We were poisoned and didn’t realize it.

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #13  
We were poisoned and didn’t realize it.
Actually, once the mercury is in the amalgam it is relatively inert. The amalgam can under some circumstances outgas mercury vapor, which is biologically rather inert. The FDA recommends not using them for those folks under six years of age, but that's about it.

Mercury is very toxic in organic mercury compounds.

All the best,

Peter

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #14  
The FDA does not recommend anyone remove or replace existing amalgam fillings in good condition unless it is considered medically necessary by a health care professional (for example, documented hypersensitivity to the amalgam material). Removing intact amalgam fillings results in unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure and a temporary increase in exposure due to additional mercury vapor released during the removal process.

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #15  
My first guess would not be silver. Silver does not look shiny unless it is polished and then it only stays shiny for awhile. Oxidation happens quickly. Not sure how alloys would change that though.

Interesting finds, but probably would set me to therapy.

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #16  
Silver is $25.72/oz right now. I'd weigh it. Even if pure silver you wouldn't get that for it.
Me...I'd keep it as an interesting paper weight and look for other things you may find.

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #17  
My father in law was a dentist. Practiced after WWII and passed away maybe ten years ago.

Maybe THIRTY years ago, out here on the farm.... was a shed. They put odds & ends in this shed. One day, a storm came through and blew a big tree over. Luck had it that the shed was standing between the tree and it's landing space so the shed got smashed to smithereens. I don't think anyone EVER went there to salvage anything as the tree was simply swamping the shed.

I've cut within sight of the shed (there was a 'path' that went from 20' of the shed and circled around (blah blah blah)

Yesterday, was out there with the wife. I had placed some decently large rocks (small boulders) with my backhoe there years ago, some Flagstone.... she wants to build something so we went out to see what we can salvage of the hard materials.

That got me looking around up close, like I've never done before.

I found probably fifty (50) dental picks, scrapers and other various tools of pain infliction.... (two LARGE syringes without needles, half a dozen drill handles that HOLD the bit and get attached to the air compressor....

I found this.

Wife said they found some dental gold in the house after he passed. I'm thinking this is probably dental silver.

Came out of the dirt SHINY as can be.... dirt rubbed off and portions are as bright as a mirror. I'd imagine a gentle buffer would make the whole thing sparkle as bright as it can be.

What I'm wondering is, is it really dental silver and is it good for anything around the house (soldering?)

It is FAR more shiny/reflective in person verses the pictures. What looks like rust/oxidation appears to be ground in dirt. Keep in mind, this has been buried for 30 years.

View attachment 799337

View attachment 799340

View attachment 799339
How heavy is it?

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'?
Been out of town, up since 3:00 Eastern....however, for my tractor pals, I just pulled out the kitchen scale.

104 grams, about 3.66 ounces.

(for the "silver", not the clothesline clip)

/ Dental (TOOL) question.... is this 'dental silver'? #20  
Been out of town, up since 3:00 Eastern....however, for my tractor pals, I just pulled out the kitchen scale.

104 grams, about 3.66 ounces.

(for the "silver", not the clothesline clip)
Great! And the dimensions are 2x0.75x0.75", or...?
(I'm really curious now.)
The other way to get to density is weigh how much water is displaced when you lower it into a container already full of water, but that takes skill...

All the best,

Peter