Dethatcher

/ Dethatcher #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I don't mow my small lawn with my TC33D, I use a 16.5 h.p. Weedeater lawn tractor instead (at least it's a hydro). I was planning on purchasing a 40" or so dethatcher for it this year. I borrowed my neighbors last year but I don't like to make a habit out of borrowing things. His was a pain to change the position of the wheels so I don't want to get one like that. Sears has one in my latest Craftsman Club flyer on sale for $64.99 that has one large lever to move the wheels into transport position. The easiest route for me in front of the house is to go across the cement driveway to connect front and side lawns in one path rather than turn around. My neighbors model scratched up the cement and it probably wasn't good for the dethatcher either. So any advice on buying a dethatcher? Any places online that you can recommend I buy from? I have checked all the local stores and Sears is the only one that seems to have the single lever type. Am I correct in thinking my 6' landscape rake would tear up the lawn and I am better off using a small dethatcher?

/ Dethatcher #2  
Spencer,

Don't waste your money, the tow behind units don't work too well. (My dad has a craftsman for his honda lawn tractor).

Besides, the current best practice for controlling thatch is aeration. Some thatch is good, too much is caused by overfertiliziation, poor drainage, or acidic soil. So get a soil test and an aerator -- Three point of course /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

My favorite online lawn resources:

Cornell Lawn Care - Thatch <font color="red"> GO BIG RED</font>

U Illinois Lawn Talk - Thatch

Kansas State Aeration (pdf)

/ Dethatcher #3  
Umm, don't use a dethatcher myself but a good link for lawn equipment is northerntool.com
http://northerntool.com/

I've been pleased with the equipment I have gotten from them in the past. I looked and they do have dethatchers, aerorators, rakes, etc. Check it out if you like /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ Dethatcher #4  
Spencer - The $65 special will work just fine. I have a similar Agrifab model. I used mine twice(2 acres) when I first moved into my house and then gave it to my brother to store/use. I then invested in an aerator. As mentioned.....aeration is the way to go. Twice a year is my program. Top dress with compost every year. This cuts back on the fertilizer requirements. After working on my tired old neglected lawn for the past 5 years, weeds are down to an acceptable level with very little use of inorganic compounds.

The landscape rake won't do it for dethatching. Tines to big.

I use the loader to dump strategically placed piles compost and then use the landscape rake to spread/topdress over the lawn. Reverse the rake so it doesn't tear up the grass. It looks bad for a week or two but it eventually comes around.

Chuck

/ Dethatcher
Thanks everybody, it looks like an aerator would be better than a dethatcher. I did a quick search and came up with Hazmat's Oh Boy, Oh Boy thread. Ouch, I'm not prepared to spend $600 right now but it would probably be worth it.

/ Dethatcher #6  
<font color="blue"> Ouch, I'm not prepared to spend $600 right now but it would probably be worth it. </font>

The key is to get the wife to buy it for you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You should be able to rent a powered walk behind aerator for ~$50-$75 per day hopefully less for 1/2 day. I'm assuming your "lawn" isn't huge if you are using the weedeater tractor to mow it. Probably only take a couple hours to aerate it with the walk behind unit. The best time is in the fall, but if your lawn has been neglected, a spring time aeration is indicated. The KSU link above has more info.

I can't wait until I can see my lawn again - snow pack has been here since December!

/ Dethatcher
hazmat, what do you do with plugs?

/ Dethatcher #8  
After I aerated in the fall, I let them dry out for 2 weeks, then I mowed the lawn creating a massive dust cloud & dulling my MMM blades.

For next time (probably do it spring and fall because I can /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I plan to make a drag with some left over chainlink fence to break up the plugs.

Generally speaking, you don't want to remove them, just break them up & let them settle back into the soil. It's kind of like you are roto-tilling the soil a little bit at a time.

From what I hear, if you get some serious rain after you aerate, the plugs tend to melt back into the lawn.

PS the best time to aerate is about 2 days after a decent rain, wet enough for good penetration, dry enough that you don't sink.

/ Dethatcher
I got both a dethatcher and a core aerator this last week. I picked up a 40" agri-fab dethatcher from Sears and a 40" agri-fab core aerator from Lowes. The core aerator was missing two plastic bushings which I had to order from the factory so I won't get to finish putting it together until Monday night. I'll post some pictures later in the week if I have time before I have to go out of town on business.