DFB - Modular Homes

/ DFB - Modular Homes #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
DFB,

I remember you having a very bad experience with modular homes. We are getting very close to our purchase and since you are located nearby I wanted to check which company you used. I know there are only a few companies which distribute in our neck of the woods and I definitely want to avoid the headaches you encountered.

If you would feel more comfortable discussing by email I can be reached at abt740@aol.com (740 is all numeric).

I also welcome input from any other forum members who have gone the modular home route as opposed to stick building.

You can't beat the price at approx $99k for a 2200 sq. ft. colonial with an attached two car garage.

Thanks!

Michele

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ DFB - Modular Homes #2  
Now what do you mean by modular?? We have three modular home builders in our general area and they build pretty good homes. Ranchers, two-story "colonials", Cape Cod's. Not double-wides. These are traditional homes.

We built our house 11 yrs ago. It is a Cape Cod. We paid $41K for it. It was 1100 Sq feet finished on the first floor. Apprx 800 sq feet unfinished on the second. That included everything!! Paint colors of our choice, Wallpaper, different colored rugs in each room. The house is 28'x42' and came in two sections. Neat to see them set it on the foundation. The roof was stick built on site. The construction is very good with good materials. When we designed our house, the salesperson said, "here are the outside walls, what do you want to do?".

If there is one complaint with our house, it is that the ceilings are 7' 9".

I would recommend a modular house to anyone!! Just check out what is available in your area.

/ DFB - Modular Homes #3  
I have driven by a modular home builder many times in my area. I never even gave them a thought for I think of modular as "mobile". I will now go visit their model.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann

/ DFB - Modular Homes #4  
Gatorboy,

Look at Keystone Homes in Waynesboro, Pa (built ours), North American (I believe Point of Rocks, Md), and Foremost (I believe in Greencastle, Pa). Hindsight being 20/20 I would have looked at Foremost also but did not know of them when building ours.

Good luck.

/ DFB - Modular Homes #5  
DFB

I agree with TerryinMD, what do you mean by "Modular". Most people are using the same term for both BOCA Modular and HUD Double wide construction. A BOCA Modular is pretty much a stick built home made in a factory. A HUD modular is a mobile home. BOCA and HUD are different building codes. Chances are your site built home would be built to BOCA code, or a local variant. HUD Code allows for part of a vehicle to be used in the construction, which is why your HUD double wide will come with a trailer title. BOCA code is more stringent and does not allow this. A BOCA modular will be delivered ON a trailer.

If you decide to go manufactured, go BOCA. You only need to be on site immediately after one HUD home is set to make up your mind. A good exercise is to drive past dealer's lots and look for new HUD sections that have been brought in for display and not assembled yet. (For some reason, the dealers here always leave them setting out at the front of the lot where they are easy to see from the road). Look at the bottom row of siding. 90% of what I've seen setting on lots and not bolted together and leveled has a bottom row of siding that looks like a snake track. For some reason, buyers never seem to consider this. It basically means that the home has flexed going down the road. When they install these things, they go to great lengths to level and support them so the wave is gone. My question has always been "what happened to the stuff inside the walls while all that flexing was going on?"

Before you make any decision, get the spec sheets from the manufactured home you are looking at. Then talk to several builders and see what kind of prices you can get for the same thing or something close. Recently, I had the opportunity to see this first hand. The homebuyer's original plan was to placea HUD home of about 1400 square feet. Due to a deed restriction which he found out about when he tried to pull a building permit, he had to build a site built home. We have one builder in the area who is going head to head with the maunfactured industry. The final cost for construction was about 4k different. The home owner wound up with 1500 square feet, though, so it was a fair trade off. The dealer's list cost won't include things like site work, sewage and water, foundation, setting of the home, tax, specialized items you've requested, etc. (These are all extras that are added on at the time you sign your contract.) Your home builder's price will include all that. Manufactured housing may be faster from purchase to on site completion and it may not. It depends on the dealer. I've seen some take 6 months to get a home set and another month to go back and finish the siding, interior trim and repairs. In the above builder example, the home was turn key in 90 days.

Hope this helps.

SHF

/ DFB - Modular Homes
Yes, Modular and Manufactured homes are not the same. Manufactured homes (policially correct term for trailers) have steel beams underneath. Manufactured homes have been zoned out of our area except in trailer parks. Modulars are allowed.

If you do a search on Modular you will find the post by DFB which included a picture of the shoddy construction of the Modular that was delivered to his property. I am trying to avoid this comany.

We have been investigating Modulars for over a year and have visited all the distributors within 1-1/2 of our property and know what we want as far as specs are concerned. It looks like we will be going with MSI out of PA.

Michele

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ DFB - Modular Homes #7  
Paul,

I researched modulars for about 2 years before deciding on a company. We bought our blueprints and had bank approval when the salesman we were working with took a job with another modular campany.

Anyway all we had to do was sign the contract when our new saleman called and told us he didn't want to travel 10 hours from home to set up the house and told us we'd need to find a different company to deal with. I called the company's owner, who we had met and talked with many times, and filled him in on what we had been told. His response? He was sorry, but he couldn't afford to lose another salesman at that time and maybe after he found a replacement we could do business!

My point in all this? We talked to the Modular Home Council about each potential company, asked for names of customers and even visited their production facilities before deciding on a company and still almost made a big mistake. DON"T rush into it, be double sure who you are dealing with and talk to as many people you can find who own that brand. Don't rely on company referrals either.

We ended up site building with a contractor I go to church with. He and his subs found and corrected numerous things on the blueprints that improved on the overall quality of the home. We were able to build for about the same price as the modular by doing the roofing, siding, insulating, painting and trim work ourselves.

Good luck, there are good mods out there you just have to find them.

Pitbullmidwest

/ DFB - Modular Homes #8  
SHF, Hit the nail on the head. There are trailers, double wide trailers, manufactured homes (recently coined euphamism that denotes certain standards have been net) My mom's new house that I have been getting "DONE" was built 10 miles from here and trucked, in one piece, totally completely finished inside and out (less the foundation, of course and the under house plumbing and the septic system, now there is a thought picture, going down the road with septic system installed underneath...) I'm back now, sorry. There are no manufacturer or code compliance tags next to the door. There is no steel trailer frame or wheels and axles or a tongue. This is not treated like an automobile or RV. It is a house, stick built in one lump. Once on site it is insured as if it were built there. The only difference is that it was not built on its final site. The differences are: delivery produced some small cosmetic cracks in the corners of the window surounds. These were filled and touched up and are INVISIBLE. (Square corners are stress risers, this is normal.)

This home was delivered with stove, dishwasher, and hot water heater. I supplied the frige, washer and dryer and I installed the propane gas log (hedge against electric outage for this all electric home). It was carpeted and has two different vinyl floor coverings. All the floor coverings were selected by my mom for nominal upgrade charges. I upgraded the HVAC to a heat pump and upgraded the heat pump to a high SEER model Lenox. The construction is quite robust. Walls are 2x6 studs (cavities filled with fiber glass) on 16 in centers and floors are two layers of plywood with tarred felt between layed over 2x8 floor joists on 16 in centers. The wood is all Weyerhauser #2 or better (can't find this good straight stuff at the Orange box (home depot). Sheathing is 1/2 in OSB, whole house is wrapped with Weyerhauser "House wrap". Double pained energy efficient windows and doors. Ceiling fans in all three bedrooms and the great room. Cathedral ceiling in the great room with 2ft attic above (ceiling is NOT the bottom of the roof) blown full of fiber glass. Vinyl siding and sofit vents. Two of the bedrooms are mirror images of each other with private bathrooms having combination Jacuzzi tub/shower. Large walk in closets are accessed from inside the private baths. Closets have HVAC ducts so contents are dehumidified. the hall bath doesn't have a Jacuzzi just a plain tub/shower. Guest bedroom has a huge walk in closet but it will probably be used for mom's overflow (more shoes than Imelda Marcos and an outfit to go with each).

During 112 degree heat stress days (up to 105 on the thermometer) the A/C ran a fairly low duty cycle. I think the unit is oversized. I didn't size it! We'll see what happens in the coming winter.

The house is 26 ft wide (not including the overhangs which are substantially larger than on manufactured homes) and it is 70 ft long (our builder only goes up to 72 ft) This one is 1820 sqft. The fixtures are not posh but are good servicable equipment that should last for years, are repairable (faucetts by Delta, made in Chickasha, OK). I opted for the energy and water conservative (low impact on septic) Frigidaire front loader washer (Consumer Reports places it well ahead of the Maytag front loader Neptune on freq of repair) but since the demo tape that came with it showed the model down on one knee using it, I designed a 16 inch platform to hold the washer and dryer. Dead convenient, I like it. (We have been moved in now for a week.)

Delivery cost $4000, approximately what it would have cost extra to have it built on our site to start with but we gained 4-5 months minimum in schedule. As per the builder and a few others I over designed the foundation but was concerned with expansive clay. There are 45 bored piers under the house to hold up an 18inx18in cast concrete beam (looks like a footing/foundation) There is a 2 ft tall 8 inch thick stem wall between the house with the top of the beam at grade. Under the cast beam is 6in deep 18 in wide carton forms (empty cardboard boxes) to form a void under the beam (foundation). If anything expands and tries to heave up on the house it just flows into that void until it contracts later restoring the void. LL the weight of the house, stem, and cast beam is supported by the piers. The fact that the house looks like it is setting on the surface is of no consequence as it is actually supported by the footprints of those piers which reach through the fill to undisturbed earth below. $7000 worth of peace of mind. The Oklahoma City phone book has about a half page of foundation building contractors and 6-7 pages of foundation repairing contractors. I tried to get ahead of the game.

Sitting at the builders lot, this house cost $63K (no garage, foundation, steps, sidewalke, etc.) or $34.63/sqft. You can buy cheaper construction but I've not seen better with regard to the shell. As far as the interior plans are concerned I designed the house with an eye on some plan books, plaigerizing manufactured home web sites, and personal whimsy sanity checked by the distaff side of the husband and wife team who own the house building company. They have done hundreds of these so I let her keep me from doing anything real dumb. There are no load bearing interior walls. The manufactured trusses carry all the roof load to the outside walls which are very stout. With no load bearing interior walls you can arrange the interior any way you want with no concern for strength.

This builder was very conservative and leans toward more than enough strength in his materials. I heard him tell framers, "I'm paying for the nails, use plenty". I looked at their scrap pile. Pretty small for so many houses being built, as many as 8 or so at a time. That is one source of their economy, crews can walk a few yards from house to house rather than driving from job to job. Also they help each other which makes a difference. I helped lift a 72 ft long 2x6 stud wall into place. The reallly big JD tractor helped a bit.

Ok this rambled a bit but what did we discover. You can buy a lot of house of good quality with no stigma of "trailer" attached. Many folks buy homes without siding and brick them in on site. One was cedar planked on the top half and the bottom would be covered in native rock when delivered. Trailer stigma??? Yes, manufactured homes still cary a trailer stigma. Get the delivered and set up ready to move in price of a nice manufactured home. Now check for used manufactured homes of like size and quality. Look for ones that are not very old. The friend who recommended I check into these particular factory built homes had 8 yrs experience as a lisc real estate person. He said that although it probably should not be the case, nevertheless it was true that manufactured homes are worth less money delivered and set up than they are at the sales lot. He estimated you lose about $10,000 when you take delivery of a home such as we were considering. On the other hand he said that our truck delivered but built in one piece with no trailer frame under it house would be worth $5-10K more delivered than on the sales lot. The trailer house/manufactured home always caries the stigma as its origins can't be disguised very well. On the other hand what we got for my mom is absolutely indistinguishable from what it would be had it been built where it stands. The stigma attached to "trailers" where manufactured homes are concerned isn't fair, isn't completely logical, just unfortunately true.

I know a civil engineer in Shawnee, OK. He and his father are involved in a housing development. They develop an entire tract complete in every respect with all homes essentially move in ready. Natural gas, city sewar, city water, electricity, phone availability, landscaping, some have pools, and on and on. The buyers for the most part are blissfullly unaware that the homes are manufactured housing under the law. The developer has financing arranged also. I suspect that most buyers never really key in on what they really are getting since everything looks so much like a regular neighborhood.

Caveat emptor. Again it isn't fair but it is true. Manufactured housing suffers from the lingering taint of "trailers". Be very careful, houses are an expensive investment that can appreciate a lot over time. Check the facts regarding the "appreciation" of manufactured housing. Are you sure you will never ever under any circumstances need to sell it? Are you so well off that it doesn't matter? Be careful.

Patrick (I could post a few snaps if there is interest)

P.S. Could everybody hold off on praying for rain for a few days, when the rain gives us a break we will pour the already formed slab for the garage, breezeway, sidewalks, and porch steps.

/ DFB - Modular Homes #9  
Michelle,

It appears you have investigated your options. A good BOCA unit, properly set can be indistinguishable from site built. The differences however are greater than the steel beams under the floor. HUD homes will frequently have lighter framing in the walls and ceilings. I normally don't mention this because these items are hidden and can't be seen. I have been told (but haven't yet had the joy of ripping a wall open to find out), that 2x6 walls on HUD homes are frequently built with 2x4 lumber. The method described to me was to start with 2x6 top and bottom plates and nail in 2x4 studs one inside, one outside, one inside, so that every other stud touches either the inside or outside of the wall, but no single stud touches both. Additionally, HUD homes require added supports underneath to keep the floors level, unlike a BOCA home which will have a wider clear span.

Beware zoning. Our situation here is that HUD homes are not allowed in R1 zones, UNLESS THEY ARE BRAND NEW.

There are also other building options besides the 3 detailed here. One is panelized construction. Prefab panels are shipped in by truck and set on your foundation with a crane. The shell is up in just a few days. I believe they call them SIP panels, but I haven't investigated them much lately. The panels are already insulated, have sheathing on the outside and often drywall on the inside.

Patrickg
Got any pics of that foundation?

SHF

/ DFB - Modular Homes #10  
Yeah, PatrickQ,

How about some pictures! especially the foundation. How deep were your piers. Did you consult an engineer, if so who. I'm looking at building south of you and will be looking for a advisor/consultant. I suspect our soil is similiar except I'm closer to bedrock. (arbuckle mountains (hills) about 10 miles from me). My soil is expansive black clay, slick as snot when wet and clings to everything. I swear you get taller as you walk across a muddy pasture.

I really want a full basement/storm cellar so that is another design consideration.

Why did you put the top of the foundation at grade? Didn't this put the mud sill at grade? Not a good thing, if I'm understanding what was done.

As far as building permits, am I correct in thinking that none are required outside of incorporated towns in OK.? I will check with the county court house. I'm not against inspections just the politics associated with them.

I haven't talked with the elec co. yet, but I think they are the only one's who want an inspection or a licensed elec. to install the service connect and from there it is your "baby". I understand why inspections are done/needed and intend to built atleast to code, most of the time probably better. My current house "had" to be inspected because it had sat empty for so long. THAT was a joke! I found more problems than the electrician and the inspector.

Septic will also be inspected/approved by DEQ. What type of system did you install? I have had a perc test. No go. I will end up with a lagoon, evap/trans/a or aerobic. I like the aerobic best, also the most expensive.

We like the houses at Stratford, but would like to build a farmhouse (two story with wrap around porch). Will see what the budget/stockmarket says!

So many questions! One more, What do you think about a radiant floor in our part of the world. My dad had some concerns about the reaction time. i.e needing heat at night and not during the day time. By the time the floor gets warm it is time to cool it off. I know there are outside thermometers/controls to help negate this problem.

Sorry for all the questions, ignore them if you want. Just planning/thinking about this.

Anyway, how about a couple of pictures?

thanks.

Gary