Diabetes

/ Diabetes #241  
I stopped using all sweeteners except Truvia.
I think if you like things "sweet" one will gravitate to all things sweet...desserts, lattes, prepared foods with lots of sugar added
My understanding is that diet soda is almost as bad as the sugary stuff, fakes out the body's glycemic reaction.
I eat an apple every night for dessert and have read that is not so good any more.
Well....I live between two apple orchards and I'm not giving up my apples.
I have cut down on bananas though. Calorie intensive, as they say.

I’m not a Dr., and never played one on TV,
but my understanding is sugar content is a number to look at, like when comparing the amount of sugar in an apple and a glass of soda, but….
…the fiber content of natural fruit slows the bodies absorption and insulin reaction, in a more level way, than sugar water hitting the system.

So make sure you’re comparing…..
….apples to apples! 🤣🤣

/ Diabetes #242  
My wife (bless her...she says she wants to live a long time FOR ME) she has stacks and I mean a library full of books about diabetes. The best thing she did though ($$$) is for years consulted with an endocrinologist, a Dr. from Israel who is diabetic himself.
She may not be an expert but knows a lot. We (primarily me) believe what's really bad is diet soda which screws with your pancreas. Lots of artificial sweetners research, made from petroleum products and other man made stuff. As Jack LaLanne said "if man makes it, you don't want it" (you must be old to remember him).
Stevia at least is a natural plant. She eats apples, oranges, half-bananna. White (except cauliflower) stuff is bad. Carbs is what she's concerned with (35-40/meal). 8 or so night snack is ok. Body turns alcohol to sugar, we don't drink alcohol anyway. Mainly you want variety and slow burn carbs. There are good flours so she makes homemade bread.
Every injury, especially feet/hands even small cuts treat immediately.
Her diabetic parents, Dad passed at 90, Mom at 97.
Check blood glucose often, after a while you know what to do. Exercise, walking is fantastic.

/ Diabetes #243  
Folks with type I or II need to move around some. Find something you like doing and do it. You'll live longer and have more fun.
dogs river trail sandy Cropped.jpg

/ Diabetes #244  
well I guess no more Truvia for me...
I'm using Swerve which has it. Thanks for the article. I guess it's causing a little uproar in the diabetic community. As the article states, it's currently acknowledged as a correlation and not a causation. I am not using significant quantities of it. The last part of the article stated they gave 30g to people and watched how long it stayed in their blood. It lasted 2 or 3 days. That was 3 servings of ice cream worth! Just because an alternative to sugar exists that doesn't raise the glucose in your blood, doesn't mean you should pig out on it. Everything in moderation.

/ Diabetes #245  
Honestly, Diabetics should just quit the sugar like a lunger should quit smoking.
Next problem?

/ Diabetes #246  
Honestly, Diabetics should just quit the sugar like a lunger should quit smoking.
Next problem?

Trouble is that our bodies literally run on sugar. Everything gets broken down to sugar—but the thing is how fast it gets broken down to sugar. That's why diabetics pay attention to the three macros: fat, protein, and carbs. Carbs should be limited, and a high fat diet is preferred.

/ Diabetes #247  
Glycemic ratings need to be watched..
----------------------------------------------
The glycaemic index (GI) is a rating system for foods containing carbohydrates. It shows how quickly each food affects your blood sugar (glucose) level when that food is eaten on its own.

/ Diabetes #248  
I was referring to white sugar as poison. It is so for everybody not just diabetics. The thing about carbs is that they are not an essential nutrient. Complex carbs (like vegetables) eaten with protein and fat will digest much slower and infuse sugar into the bloodstream much slower than a handful of cookies and ice cream. Of course we all know that and I'm preaching to the Choir here. lol
Also Diabetics should consider fasting as a way to control sugar levels. A 16 hr fast 3 times a week can make a difference for me. Your mileage may vary ;)

Last edited:
   / Diabetes
I love the taste of Coke, but no longer drink it.
Real challenge is how do you flavor plain healthy water with something that doesn't make it unhealthy?
Coke in third world countries is seen as a very desirable luxury.
And along with the proliferation of soft drinks comes the medical ills they cause

I found this interesting factoid about Coke in an investor magazine recently. And utterly amazing for North America:
Based on company disclosure, annual per capita beverage consumption
in emerging markets ($93 in Asia-Pacific and $144 in Latin America) has a long way
to go to catch up to the $712 seen in North America

I see folks in the supermarket line with cases of Coke and Pepsi.
I guess no different than seeing cartons of cigarettes.
Personal choice.

a few years back the overweight guy in line behind me had three cases of Coca Cola and about a dozen bags of different
potato chips and snacks on top. Nothing else. I was so tempted to take a picture of it, but that would be fat/food shaming and not going there.
I honestly felt sorry for the guy. Sooner or later he is not going to be healthy, and most of us know by now
being sick is no fun at all.

My brilliant and loving Mother was an alcoholic, wrecked her life, so I know what addiction is like up close and too personal.
Food and particularly bad food can become an addiction.
Folks eat for many reasons other than nutrition.
Comfort, instant gratification, success...

am finding my home brewed herbal tea kept in the fridge to be a good solution for me.
I also drink V8 regularly, particularly if I can find the low salt version.

/ Diabetes #250  
It is water or black coffee for me. Occasionally I'll buy carbonated water. But not every week anymore. It has been well documented and publicized that soft drinks and highly processed foods are unhealthy or worse for us. Anybody who wants to know can find the information and learn how to eat healthy before or after diabetes. Unfortunately it takes a bit of discipline which people resist.
My weakness is wine and chips. Replaced with water and a mix of carrots and sugar free jerky.