Did a little hay last week ...

/ Did a little hay last week ... #11  
$8 ..That would get me to hauling more square bales. I read an add about a month ago from south Texas wanted $145 for a round!!!

/ Did a little hay last week ... #12  
blueriver: I'm not far from you and did the same thing. Got about 150 bales and all but 10 are gone. People are traveling long distances to get hay. Had one guy call and wanted around 250 bales. If I recall he said he could get 40 bales per load and needed 6 loads. He was from the Austin area.

I was planning on putting 4 tons of Urea out last weekend with the chances of rain. Glad I didn't since the rain didn't materialize. Been thinking of irrigating my fields but just not sure about the payback. I'm on the edge of an aquifer so I should have plenty of water at about 100' down.

/ Did a little hay last week ... #13  
Looks good. Can't wait to get up to my place this weekend and see how the coastal is looking. Hopefully start making plans for first cut soon. I need to get some weeds sprayed as well hoping to have additional land start producing more through the year.

The year started good for rain but is during dry. Really hope we don't have repeat of last year.

/ Did a little hay last week ...
Blue

Just looked at the radar tonight...not sure what part of OK you are in - but looks like the majority of the state is getting some soaking rains tonight. That ought to help your hay!!

Atoka County ... and I did 3/10ths last evening ... thank full for every drop !!!

$8 ..That would get me to hauling more square bales. I read an add about a month ago from south Texas wanted $145 for a round!!!

I saw one on CL ... might have been the same ad...stop by and I'll let you haul some !!! Its pretty cool using the accumulator and Grapple.

blueriver: I'm not far from you and did the same thing. Got about 150 bales and all but 10 are gone. People are traveling long distances to get hay. Had one guy call and wanted around 250 bales. If I recall he said he could get 40 bales per load and needed 6 loads. He was from the Austin area.

I was planning on putting 4 tons of Urea out last weekend with the chances of rain. Glad I didn't since the rain didn't materialize. Been thinking of irrigating my fields but just not sure about the payback. I'm on the edge of an aquifer so I should have plenty of water at about 100' down.

Good thing you held off on the urea ... I look at my irrigation like this. Start early and keep the moisture in the ground ... it runs me 1.25 gallons of diesel per hour to run the system and as long as square bales are that $8-10 ... well every 500 bales adds up. I'm planning to keep my best bermuda fertilized and watered.

/ Did a little hay last week ... #17  
I saw one on CL ... might have been the same ad...stop by and I'll let you haul some !!! Its pretty cool using the accumulator and Grapple.[/QUOTE

G...Thanks for the "offer":laughing:I'll haul it on the halves!!:D

Haven't used an accumulator, used one of the chain drive/trailer mounted ones. Accumulator takes almost all of the work out of it it appears. I always like the $ from square bales, but they where a bit more labor intensive.

I saw one on CL ... might have been the same ad...stop by and I'll let you haul some !!! Its pretty cool using the accumulator and Grapple.[/QUOTE

G...Thanks for the "offer":laughing:I'll haul it on the halves!!:D

Haven't used an accumulator, used one of the chain drive/trailer mounted ones. Accumulator takes almost all of the work out of it it appears. I always like the $ from square bales, but they where a bit more labor intensive.

My grandson rakes for me ... he can finish a field before I'm done baling then he calls on the radio and tells me he's done and going after the accumulator. So simple to use ... by the time I'm done baling he is about done accumulating and then I un-hook from the baler put on the grapple and he brings the truck and trailer ... I load while he drives. I also have a 3 point atattchment for the tractor to bring the second gooseneck to the field and a hay wagon ... 4 wheel type that pulls behind the tractor. We can load 500 in the field then come to the barn and off load and do it again until they are gathered up.

/ Did a little hay last week ... #19  
Cant beat that set up and the helper, great to see a youngster being a contributor. Nothing like the smell of a hay barn full of good hay:thumbsup:

I used to pay to college students I knew to load and stack my squares in the barn. They hauled hay to supplement, one is a vet the other one I think is an anesthesiologist. They'd haul hay all night ,go to school in the day time. Those boys could move some hay!!

Cant beat that set up and the helper, great to see a youngster being a contributor. Nothing like the smell of a hay barn full of good hay:thumbsup:

I used to pay to college students I knew to load and stack my squares in the barn. They hauled hay to supplement, one is a vet the other one I think is an anesthesiologist. They'd haul hay all night ,go to school in the day time. Those boys could move some hay!!

The good old days when young folks appreciated the extra money. My grandson has turned into a real hand ... still some school issues. To think a little over 3 years ago he had never been on a farm ... had never drove a 4 wheeler. In todays world he cuts hay, rakes, loads and unloads. We practice safety every day ... I find him reminding me of things.

He's 15 and a couple weeks ago I was at the other farm 7 miles away sraying weeds ... I needed some tools so I called him at the home farm and told him to bring the dodge dually and carry those supplies to me ... grandma didn't like that !! He made it there and back no problems and I have taught him to drive defensivly ... rural roads and he drives very well.

I had fun that evening at dinner when I told his grandma ... "I looked up and the boy was there" Then I said he told me "It don't take long at 65-70 MPH !!!!!