Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut?

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut?
No. When you lift the implement it will create the shortest distance.

Go test it with a ruler/tape measure.
I'll give it a test tomorrow. Do both end up the same length? The method I tried had me cut an inch less on one of the sides

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #12  
I'll give it a test tomorrow. Do both end up the same length? The method I tried had me cut an inch less on one of the sides
Yes they will. (Not going to go too deep into the maths, but it involves geometry). You want to cut it so where both half shafts are equal to avoid vibration.

You'll see when you raise and lower the implement and measure it with the measuring device.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #13  
future_vision ...... Wipe off & blow out the two sections of the PTO shaft. You don't want metal filings in there. Possibly cause the shaft to not operate properly. The shaft will telescope - in/out - more for something like a bush hog. But even the shaft on my chipper get dirty. And I only raise/lower it once a day when I'm using it.

The angle of the dangle has my PTO shaft most compressed when I lift the chipper to full height. Like when I move from one location to another. From sitting hard on the ground to full rise isn't much difference but enough to make note of when shortening the PTO shaft.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #14  
Think my chipper instructions were to measure the distance between the click points on the PTO and on the implement. Do same on PTO shaft pushed to minimum. Deduct 1 1/2 inches from length on tractor PTO to raised implement. Cut both ends and plastic shield.

Should be 2 1/2 inches because PTO shaft is too hard to get onto the PTO with 1 1/2.

If checking an old PTO shaft after putting on QH, etc., do above measurement and compute that you still have 6 inches overlap.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #15  
Be sure that PTO shaft clears the end of the tractor drawbar when implement is lowered fully. Might even want to check it with the implement hanging over a dropoff so that 3PH is all the way down.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #16  
Priority #1: Cut shaft short enough so it doesn’t “bottom out” when the attachment is at the height where the shaft needs to be the shortest. Typically it’s when attachment is at height that makes the PTO shaft horizontal.
“Bottoming out” can damage tractor rear end/ pto casing.

It’s also convenient if it’s short enough to be able to slide back PTO shaft even more if you want to unhook PTO at shaft’s shortest operating position.

..but cut it long enough that shaft doesn’t pull apart when attachment is at a height requiring shaft to be its longest. Usually this is when attachment is raised all the way up, or attachment lowered over a bank or in ground (or going around a corner if attachment pulled by a drawbar).

That’s it.

Last edited:
Be sure that PTO shaft clears the end of the tractor drawbar when implement is lowered fully. Might even want to check it with the implement hanging over a dropoff so that 3PH is all the way down.
I was going to ask about that. Looks like the PTO shaft would hit the drawbar if I were dropping the chipper lower than horizontal.

future_vision ...... Wipe off & blow out the two sections of the PTO shaft. You don't want metal filings in there. Possibly cause the shaft to not operate properly. The shaft will telescope - in/out - more for something like a bush hog. But even the shaft on my chipper get dirty. And I only raise/lower it once a day when I'm using it.

The angle of the dangle has my PTO shaft most compressed when I lift the chipper to full height. Like when I move from one location to another. From sitting hard on the ground to full rise isn't much difference but enough to make note of when shortening the PTO shaft.
I wonder if I measured wrong because the distance was further away when I raised it. Maybe, because it is a chipper, the shaft sits higher on the attachment and as I raise it never gets to the point in the arc where it starts shortening?

I wonder if I measured wrong because the distance was further away when I raised it. Maybe, because it is a chipper, the shaft sits higher on the attachment and as I raise it never gets to the point in the arc where it starts shortening?
Hmm. I dunno. I read things like this and I am convinced again that the shortest distance is when the two splines are in line with each other.

/ Did I mess up the measurements on my PTO cut? #20  
I was going to ask about that. Looks like the PTO shaft would hit the drawbar if I were dropping the chipper lower than horizontal.
I removed the drawbar as well as the PTO shield. Stored if I need them. Won't need the shield.