Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't!

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #21  
Well damn. I had to fire up the googlizer. I was convinced it was code to install outlets ground down. But that doesn't appear to be the case. (unless it's a local by-law in the odd place here or there) Plenty of arguments for both ways.
Without question I guess it's safe to say the "normal" way is ground down. Certainly lots of reasons for both installations but I guess the 2 things I would go with is:
1: plugs that are made flat (so that the wire goes flat against the wall directly from the outlet like a fridge for example) are typically made with the expectation that the ground is installed down.
2: when you grab the plug to pull it out of the wall your index finger is at the bottom and can curl around the plug, there's the potential you could get your finger across the terminals if it's installed ground up, while ground down won't be an issue.

So ultimately if you choose either way you're not wrong!

E.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #22  
   / Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #23  
I wired and trimmed our houses for 18+ years. Then I worked in a hospital for 19 more. The first couple years when I replced an outlet I had to put it in twice. In homes we put ground down. In the hospital it went up. Most had metal plates.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #25  
Good question... hopefully someone with more knowledge than will chime in definitively. Every time I have asked (including some actual electricians), I've been told that's actually how they are supposed to be installed. Unfortunately, I've never gotten the background explanation as to the significance of ground on top.

Edit - Thanks MossRoad.... apparently we were typing at the same time.

With a few exceptions in some commercial environments, there is no requirement for ground up or ground down on an install.
Yes you will here folks say it is code, but code list specifics.
For the argument that something metal will hit the ground and be safe because it hits the ground and bounces away. However, we have all seen that the weird happens as often ad the ‘common’. If something metal hits the ground prong and slides down to the hot prong/terminal you still run the risk of shock as much if ground plug is down. Besides they are saying they do not expect the breaker to do what it is designed to do.

So it is an individual preference only outside of a few specified instances in NEC. Next time someone insist it is how it is done, insist they show you in the NEC where it is required.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #26  
Is there a reason metal plate covers are used besides durability?

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #27  
Not that I found just harder to break

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #29  
My wife once tried removing a metal plate with a plug attached. The metal plate contact with the hot contacts in the ground-down plug did not make her day o_O, and ever since I've been installing with ground-up, and she has never removed another outlet cover either.....

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #30  
My wife once tried removing a metal plate with a plug attached. The metal plate contact with the hot contacts in the ground-down plug did not make her day o_O, and ever since I've been installing with ground-up, and she has never removed another outlet cover either.....
It does tend to get your immediate attention. I have been very careful ever since.