Diesel 101 for a newbie

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #11  
Ford cab and chassis trucks are much more common here in New England than the other brands. I don't know if they were cheaper or what but they do seem to dominate the market.

That said, if this is an occasional use truck, you would be better served with a gas engine. Specifically the V10 if you can. With a gas truck, maintenance and repairs are generally cheaper. It is also more likely that you can find a gas truck that was personally used, where the diesels will be former landscaper, contractor, mason or municipal trucks. Rule out any truck that has plowed snow or carried a spreader!!! (Ask me how I know!) The trucks will have been driven by many employees that abuse them, as they are company trucks. Another thing to keep in mind is that they usually get overloaded and abused due in part to the fact that anyone with a regular license (no specific training or experience) can drive them.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #12  
The 7.3 Powerstroke was available from 94 - 03, with the 99 - 03 years being the best of those.

That is debateable- the 99+ had MIM connecting rods which have failed at a far higher rate than the forged rods before 99, especially if modded for more power.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #13  
I currently have 2 6.0's that have been chipped, have bigger exhaust, and intakes and not a single issue with either. One is a 04 F-250 4x4 and the other is a 06 F-350 4x4. The F-250 got worked hard its first 2 years but now is just a daily driver. The F-350 has been worked hard since day one.

As one poster stated everyone they know with 6.0's have had nothing but troubles. I am the opposite. I know about 15 people with them. One guy needed injectors at 120,000 miles and another needed the EGR replace at 104,000 miles. Thats it.

Chris

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #14  
I'm not an expert, nor do I even play one, but I have to agree with crashz - since this is a relatively occasional use truck, why limit yourself to diesel?
That said, if you want one because it would be fun and you've always wanted an excuse to get one, go for it.
I've had a 2000 F-250 v10, and now have a 2009 F-350 SRW v10. The 2009 is more motor. The 2000 was just fine, though. Some of the early years had a reputation for spitting out spark plugs, though I never had that problem.
As is often the case in these situations, you should try to decide how much of this is about buying a truck because you want a truck, and how much is about doing some landscaping.

My grandfather always said: "When faced with a decision, make a pro and con column on a piece of paper, fill in all the pros and cons, analyze them, and then just do what you want to do anyway."

-Rick

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie
Like everyone else has suggested........ the 7.3 would be what you want. I have one in my 97 F-350 and it's been very reliable. I haven't owned a 6.0 myself, but everyone....... and I mean EVERYONE I know that owns one has done head gaskets or other expensive repairs.

As a side note, you are brave to want to own anything with dual wheels in Ct. ....... even if it is for personal use.

I was not aware of a downside to owning a DRW truck in CT. Is it registered differently? My research is in its infancy so I have not looked into that aspect yet.

I'm not an expert, nor do I even play one, but I have to agree with crashz - since this is a relatively occasional use truck, why limit yourself to diesel?
That said, if you want one because it would be fun and you've always wanted an excuse to get one, go for it.
I've had a 2000 F-250 v10, and now have a 2009 F-350 SRW v10. The 2009 is more motor. The 2000 was just fine, though. Some of the early years had a reputation for spitting out spark plugs, though I never had that problem.
As is often the case in these situations, you should try to decide how much of this is about buying a truck because you want a truck, and how much is about doing some landscaping.

My grandfather always said: "When faced with a decision, make a pro and con column on a piece of paper, fill in all the pros and cons, analyze them, and then just do what you want to do anyway."

-Rick

I like that quote! Your grandfather sounds like a wise man. I can't lie, there is a large part of me that wants the diesel for the fun factor of owning a diesel. I didn't think much about the occasional use factor, I just think that better mileage is better mileage. Whether I'm driving a few miles a week of a few hundred didn't really factor into my thought process, but it is something to think about. I guess deep down I am hoping to parlay this into a little side work as well but that probably won't happen anytime soon while my kids are still younger.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #16  
i'd probably lean in the same direction as the gas engine crowd on this one. you haven't said a lot about how much or how often you will be hauling, so i can't be positive though. a few years back i was in the market for a used ton 4x4 dump. i didn't have any preference in engines, but in the end i ended up with an 01 gm with a duramax (7 yr old truck at the time).

the main reason i bought this vehicle was availability and price. there weren't very many used ones in this area at the time, and most were either nearly new ($25k for 2-3 yr old gas when a new one could be bought for $30k) or they were really used and in need of a lot of repair. at the time i paid $12k for the used diesel, which was actually cheaper than what few gas ones i had found.

in general, the truck has served fairly well, though i had to do an injector job, which is a very expensive, although common repair on that vintage gm truck. there's no real way to tell what can go wrong on a used truck - gas or diesel, but the one thing that is not debatable - parts for a diesel engine are very expensive compared to a gas engine. a complete gas engine can be replaced for about the same cost as a diesel injector job. routine maintenance is also more costly - higher priced filters and larger volumes of oil.

don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against diesels, but it is my belief that unless you really need one, it may not be the best choice. if you need that power for daily hauling of heavy loads, then it may be justified. if it's only for occasional use, then i think a gas engine might be a more practical option. in a ton dump i don't think that any noticeable increase in fuel economy will really be noticed, and even then, it probably won't be enough to offset the increased fuel prices. of course, if the deal makes it even cheaper than a gas engine (like mine) then it may be the way to go.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #17  
I have a 2001 dodge 2500 w/ a 5.9l cummins & 100hp chip. Truck weighs 11k. We have a 2005 f-550 bucket truck w the 6.0l and weighs 15k. It walks away from the dodge and it is bone stock. That says alot for the 6 L and I like dodges.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #18  
Skyco said:
That is debateable- the 99+ had MIM connecting rods which have failed at a far higher rate than the forged rods before 99, especially if modded for more power.

Maybe so, but at least they're more reliable at starting in colder weather than the previous generation. :)

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #19  
I have a 2001 dodge 2500 w/ a 5.9l cummins & 100hp chip. Truck weighs 11k. We have a 2005 f-550 bucket truck w the 6.0l and weighs 15k. It walks away from the dodge and it is bone stock. That says alot for the 6 L and I like dodges.

It seems like it's starting to get a little deep around here. ;)

Besides, the OP wasn't asking which could be made to be the fastest. I don't get that it even matters at all to him. He just "wants" a diesel, has never had one before, and is wondering which might be the better choice.

Seems to me that proven reliability, simplicity, and a proper torque curve for a heavy truck might be better measurements.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #20  
The statement was not about speed. It was about the ability to move weight, which reading the OP is about a truck with a dump bed that will be carrying large heavy loads possibly. The statement compares a well know engine to the 6.0 L which some say is not that great.